How much do you mark-up fertilizer?

Threads
I am about to bid on my first fertilizer job and would like to know how much you all mark up the fertilizer you purchase?

thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is this inventory you buy Wholesale and keep in your warehouses??
If you are buying at wholesale then you could charge retail, if you are warehousing it...

If your buying it retail, how do you justify a mark-up?
You are selling an application service right? :smile:KennyV

Threads
Is this inventory you buy Wholesale and keep in your warehouses??
If you are buying at wholesale then you could charge retail, if you are warehousing it...

If your buying it retail, how do you justify a mark-up?
You are selling an application service right? :smile:KennyV

is this not the American way. Each time a product touches another hand, the price is increased.

i've been in the computer business for a while and i never sell parts at retail, they are marked up... not a huge increase, but say 15-20%....

does this not apply in the lawn care industry?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would just charge for my time.

On most my customers this is part of the weekly service. Every two weeks I put out just a little amount of 10-10-10

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Threads
ok, well i guess the lawn care industry is different than most of the rest of the industries in this country...

Lawnranger

Threads
ok, well i guess the lawn care industry is different than most of the rest of the industries in this country...

Feel free to mark it up but be prepared to answer your customer. Suppose they see the fertilizer you use and then go to the store and see the same product and price. The next question they may ask themselves is "what is my lawn guy charging for me for this fertilizer?" Now they compare your invoice with the price at the box store and see you are "over-charging" them. How do you think they will feel?

Solution: charge a little more on labor or find the product cheaper in bulk or make less profit or etc. You get the picture. You can do whatever you want but be prepared to answer for your actions. A good answer for charging above retail is that you have to spend your time and money on high priced gasoline to go to the store and purchase the product and for that you charge a justifiable premium but if they want to spend their time and money running around town then by all means have them go buy the fertilizer and you still charge accordingly for the "installation". The most important factor to remember is to give your customer the choice if they question you. Most people want value over low prices and as long as they know they are getting a good value for their hard earned money they will usually will not have a problem paying your price.

Threads
Feel free to mark it up but be prepared to answer your customer. Suppose they see the fertilizer you use and then go to the store and see the same product and price. The next question they may ask themselves is "what is my lawn guy charging for me for this fertilizer?" Now they compare your invoice with the price at the box store and see you are "over-charging" them. How do you think they will feel?

Solution: charge a little more on labor or find the product cheaper in bulk or make less profit or etc. You get the picture. You can do whatever you want but be prepared to answer for your actions. A good answer for charging above retail is that you have to spend your time and money on high priced gasoline to go to the store and purchase the product and for that you charge a justifiable premium but if they want to spend their time and money running around town then by all means have them go buy the fertilizer and you still charge accordingly for the "installation". The most important factor to remember is to give your customer the choice if they question you. Most people want value over low prices and as long as they know they are getting a good value for their hard earned money they will usually will not have a problem paying your price.

well said, thank you.... :thumbsup:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
On all my properties under 6000 sq ft i give away free fertalizer. I feel it is a small price to pay to make sure their grass stays green and healthy mostly i buy a $30 ish dollar of wilbur elis brand fertalizer and it lasts about 4-6 yards.

Just a perk for using my services. I am aware of the loss BUT other people dont offer this.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have always told the home owner it's part of the lawn care.
I don't count it as a loss

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Extra service without leaving someone feeling they are being nickle & dimeed, or gouged over supplies will always pay off...
Your reputation should be worth more than the few extra dollars you might think your able to 'itemize' out on a bill... sell your service. :smile:KennyV