How many square foot does a bale of straw cover

Chris Bounds

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm doing my first aeration job and doing grass seed and cover with straw lightly. I need to know how far bale will go .

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm doing my first aeration job and doing grass seed and cover with straw lightly. I need to know how far bale will go .

I don't use straw I just take the seeds in.
The thing with straw is it has seeds in it and will grow grass.

I really never understood why people cover the ground with straw.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads

When I seed I just lightly push the seed into the ground with the other side of the rake

Chris Bounds

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I'm open to suggestions it's a customers request and there willing to pay for labor to put straw down.If there's a better way of doing it then I'm all about it. I was told straw helps hold the seed in place.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok I'm open to suggestions it's a customers request and there willing to pay for labor to put straw down.If there's a better way of doing it then I'm all about it. I was told straw helps hold the seed in place.

No it just gives the birds something else to focus on...

OldMasterTech

Threads

The bird comment is interesting and even sounds logical but my reasons for straw are 3, to provide partial shade, to retain soil moisture, and to help (a little bit) prevent erosion.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If your aerating and over seeding then I see no need for the straw as the seeds fall into the holes.

buzzzmeister

Threads
Square bale, big bale, round bale, etc?