how many run WOT

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
WOT (wide open throttle) When I mow I always mow WOT. I figure that the equipment was designed to get max efficacy from WOT. The ground speed I regulate with the transmission. If the governor is working right you won't over RPM the engine.

Oddball

Threads
I do. I believe the manual for my JD rider says to operate the mower at WOT for best efficiency. Like you, I regulate speed with gear selection. I have no other choice than WOT on my push mower.

Kingwood990

Threads
I run WOT with my John Deere X520. Doing it this way keeps the fan on the transmission turning the fastest thus keeping the transmission cool.

Black Bart

Threads
All mowers should be run against the Governor.
It is not really ruining at WOT it is running at the speed the engine manufacture intended for it to run.
If they wanted it to run slower they would have set the governor at a lower speed.

I think that is why some people want to throttle down is they view it as wide open when it is not it is where it was designed to run.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gas engines, especially those with air cooling, run WOT, yes. My Deere, a diesel with liquid cooling, I run at 2300-2500 rpm while mowing. Running the engine faster doesn't increase cutting performance but it does increase fuel consumption about 20%.

littlesteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
WOT (wide open throttle) When I mow I always mow WOT. I figure that the equipment was designed to get max efficacy from WOT. The ground speed I regulate with the transmission. If the governor is working right you won't over RPM the engine.

Small engines were designed to run with max throttle position. It is critical for proper air flow and oil circulation, thus keeping your engine cool. Don't forget to keep those air fins clean on the engine?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Small engines were designed to run with max throttle position. It is critical for proper air flow and oil circulation, thus keeping your engine cool. Don't forget to keep those air fins clean on the engine?

Good point, clean fins and no dirt or grease build up on the engines help them run cooler.

benski

Threads
Yep. Keep 'em clean, run good oil, and wind 'em up. May as well break at 3000 instead of 2700!:laughing::biggrin:

SteveG

Threads
As a few have said, the speed governer limits the rpm to the best speed for the particular engine/blade design. It is NOT max speed, but instead "best speed". All mowers really should be run at the max governer speed, otherwise you're cutting either cutting efficiency, fuel-efficiency, or even cooling-efficiency.

Steve

oldyellr

Threads
Let's not confuse "WOT" with setting the engine speed control to the maximum position, as is required. The governor will maintain the the engine speed at the design RPM by modulating the throttle opening according to the load. At maximum load the throttle will be wide open to maintain the RPM. If the load increases beyond that, such as getting into thick, tall wet grass, the engine will slow and stall even at WOT. On an engine without a governor, at WOT with no load, it will over-rev and eventually destroy itself. It's not the same thing.