How long to spread 5 cubic yards of Lava rock?

Jwb

Threads
I am just starting out in landscaping and I have a job that I am trying to calculate roughly how long it will take me. The space is a front yard 20' x40'. I have to spray to kill some sparse grass and weeds. Then lay down thick fabric to keep any new weeds from coming up through the rocks. I will need to put a border a border along one 20' side and one 40' side to contain the lava rock. I am just doing the labor. All materials will be dropped off for me in the front yard. Any ideas on roughly how long this should take? I would think maybe 10 hours for the job but as I am pretty new I don't want to guess to low or high. I tend to think jobs won't take nearly as long as they take me right now. Maybe a break down of how long each step would take. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
5 yards of anything is a lot... if you are doing it by hand, you work a LOT faster than I do... good luck, & do post back the actual time it took... :smile:KennyV

Jwb

Threads
Thanks Kenny, I will let you know exactly how long it ends up taking me. My gut tells me more than 10 hours but the woman I am working for said she would be able to do it in 10 hours. I think she may just be telling me that to get me to bid low on the job. I would like to see her spread out the lava rock in the 4 hours that she said she could do it in.... I will put 12 hours for the entire front yard job. It is just an estimate so she has some numbers to submit to the home owner.