How long do you keep a mower

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I seen on earlier post 10 years for a mower life? First of all I buy used if I can. I bought my push mowers in the 70's, my JD 1980, my Wheel Horse 1991, and my Ferris 1999 new and only one I ever bough new. The push mowers only get used for trim work so they don't get many hours per year, The JD mows my camp, Wheel horse for snow removal and the Ferris gets used hard by more then one family weekly+. All I care about is that they run and do there job. I do give them a paint job with a paint brush when they start to get scratched and rusty. I give my mowers yearly maintenance and they are in top mechanical repairs. How long do you keep your mower and when do you determine when to replace it?

gainestruk

Threads
I keep mine 10+ years, my last rider was a 2004 yard machine by MTD, I keep them fixed till something happens that would cost about half a new one, on the yard machine it was 9 years old and transaxel cratered (bolt came loose inside and split a hole in transaxel) the engine is still good and will use for a transplant if someone in family need engine. Mower before it is a 1982 snapper rear engine rider that I bought new that still runs and mow's, I hope to rebuild it someday.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Depends on the warranty. The GS will be gone at 5 years, The ztr probably 4 years, the last two ztr's were gone in 2 years as well as the g 1336.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I will also keep a mower until there are issues that cost a lot to repair. I have no set time limit. I kept my last lawn tractor 10 years, and only sold it because I wanted a ztr mower. I am hoping to get at least 20 years out of my current mower.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Mine will be buried with me in my tomb

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My sister still uses dads old 1956 Victa ( which reminds me I was supposed togo & service it last week , bummer there goes my chrissy present ).
I use various Victa push mowes from 1984 till about 2000.
My slasher ( roughing mowe to you lot ) is from 1976
My ride ons date from 1966 through to 1978.
Use different ones for different jobs.

Old enough for you ?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
1956 Victa

Now that is keeping a mower only 59 years old. Just what dose it use for a engine? Sure would like to see some pictures of it.

eric102

Threads
27 years on my last John Deere 318 garden tractor, still running great when I sold it to buy a new JD X739. Probably still had another 10+ years of life in it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
1956 Victa

Now that is keeping a mower only 59 years old. Just what dose it use for a engine? Sure would like to see some pictures of it.
If I remember I will take a couple of happys for you.

It is the old 125cc two stroke Victa engine.
With the snorkel up high ( we had this thread befeore didn't we ) and running 30:1 they will go forever.
I put an Atom ignition module in it back in the 60's and have done the carby twice.
The compression is a bit on the low side but she lives in a unit and they have about 30 sq yards of grass to cut so it is not a problem