How fast?

Freddie21

Threads
I have purchased a tach that is similar to the one in the video, but much cheaper. It instructs to hold close to the spark plug wire to measure. It is very erratic. Is this normal or too cheap of unit?

Mad_mat222

Threads
With all my machines except my zero turn, I use the minimal amount of rpm that will get the job done. Most of the time my push mower is at 1/2-3/4 throttle. If it will cut at 1/2 throttle why ring the neck out of it? SAme with my whipper snipper. If I can cut at 5000rpm I will. Other times I have it working as hard is it can because it’s needed.

Last edited:

juntjoo

Threads
I have purchased a tach that is similar to the one in the video, but much cheaper. It instructs to hold close to the spark plug wire to measure. It is very erratic. Is this normal or too cheap of unit?
Which one in what video?

juntjoo

Threads
With all my machines except my zero turn, I use the minimal amount of rpm that will get the job done. Most of the time my push mower is at 1/2-3/4 throttle. If it will cat at 1/2 throttle why ring the neck out of it? Ame with my whipper snipper. If I can cut at 5000rpm I will. Other times I have it working as hard is it can because it’s needed.
Makes sense. So I've got other performance issues then

wekjo

Threads
Most of these engines should run at 3600, if your throttle lets you take it past that you may over rev and damage engine. So get a $5 ebay wire wrap around spark plug tach and adjust your throttle cable to prevent over-revving. 3600 optimum speed for cutting, control speed with feet or transmission.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Safety specs are there for a reason buy hey run them at what ever max speed you. So what if the a piece of the blade or a rock is thrown at a deadly speed.

Freddie21

Threads
Used the tach, again, today, and it settled down to a steady number. Kohler Courage 18 hp single engine, set max at 3600 and min at 1600 rpm.