How does variable speed work on front wheel drive mowers?

Yardguy

Threads
  • / How does variable speed work on front wheel drive mowers?
Researching the Craftsman walk behind front wheel drive mower, I discovered that the advertised variable speed is only achieved by allowing the drive belt to slip on the pulleys. (Mower models 37066 and 37041).

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/Walk-behind-lawn-mower-Parts/Model-917370660/0247/1500600/1105087P/00002?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=917370660

The front wheel drive just has a belt from the motor to a pulley that's mounted on the vertical to horizontal gear box at the front of the mower. The gear box and pulley pivot on the horizontal rods that go to the tires. The pivoting action tightens or loosens the belt. So the variable speed is only achieved by letting the belt slip on the pulleys.

How does variable speed work on other brands of front wheel drive mowers?

chn

Threads
I have a two toros walk behind Tecumseh engines, one I took off self propel because one it didn't work any more, but my other toro has the same set up as any self propel but the bar is set up different, u actually just push it down and it goes at your walking speed. I have seen similar mowers but I'm not real sure about letting a belt slip on them

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All variable speed self problem use some sort of slipping belt to achieve the different speeds, just use different types of transmissions to transfer the power to the wheels.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Many makes and models over the years have used the belt slipping varible speed it works and even though you would imagine there is not alot of wear and tear on the belt. belts last a long time if well taken care of. Make sure you grease the gears and transmission. The transmission may need taking apart and packing grease in not very often but it really is a long process

Yardguy

Threads
I have a two toros walk behind Tecumseh engines, one I took off self propel because one it didn't work any more, but my other toro has the same set up as any self propel but the bar is set up different, u actually just push it down and it goes at your walking speed. I have seen similar mowers but I'm not real sure about letting a belt slip on them

chn,
Thanks for sharing your experience.

All variable speed self problem use some sort of slipping belt to achieve the different speeds, just use different types of transmissions to transfer the power to the wheels.

Rivets,
Never would have guessed that. Thanks for sharing that important info.

Many makes and models over the years have used the belt slipping varible speed it works and even though you would imagine there is not alot of wear and tear on the belt. belts last a long time if well taken care of. Make sure you grease the gears and transmission. The transmission may need taking apart and packing grease in not very often but it really is a long process

I'm learning that belt-slip is pretty standard for variable speed. Do you pack the transmission with grease on a new mower? After a year of use?

Thanks all,
YardGuy

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
chn,
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Rivets,
Never would have guessed that. Thanks for sharing that important info.

I'm learning that belt-slip is pretty standard for variable speed. Do you pack the transmission with grease on a new mower? After a year of use?

Thanks all,
YardGuy

for household use maybe once every 2-5 years unless you live in high heat areas once every year?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Where did you get 2-5 years? I must have missed that at the Toro updates for the last ten years.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
thats what i have always done :/ was told when i was starting out by a local small engine mechanic

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I've got a twenty year old Toro three speed and have yet to open the tranny. I only open them when there is a problem. Don't think your mechanic works on a lot of Toros.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
No need to work on toros as they never die :). This was also a long time ago and he also showed me on a craftsman :/ so....