How does CCs affect blade power and torque?

Little Fish

Threads
Yeah I don't know for sure what exactly takes them so long to mow their lawns alI know is that it takes them forever but I don;t examine them closely when they do it. I'm pretty sure the one guy with the fairly new craftsman riding mower has it because of a psychological testosterone issue. The other 2, I think it's pure laziness. All 3 of them are young, like 40 or under. When they are done their lawns looks like ass, and not a hot chic's a$$, more like a Walmartian's a$$.

I can actually justify a riding mower for myself in terms of my home's property size as well as the amount of other properties I mow, but I don't have a way to transport it nor can I afford said transportation. I also don't have any storage space for it and I always figured a riding mower would cost more to maintain yearly than a push mower. I think about it every couple years, but quickly wake up to reality and just keep push mowing. It's exercise anyhow. I also have a lot of steep-ish banks to mow so I'd still do a lot of push mowing even if I had a rider. I'd say 35% of my mowing is too steep for a rider. But that means it also sucks to push mow lol.
Sounds like you need a tractor and slope mower LOL. (One of the ones the highway teams mow weeds with)

Tinstafl

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I have the grass get ahead of
Me I use my tractor and the flail mower or prior to that the brush hog. No grass or weed is too much. It happens if it
Rains a lot and I am traveling so when I get back it is tall and thick. Get a company or a farmer to cut it once
For you.

4getgto

Threads
My take on mowing wet grass..Dont.
Takes so much power and it always looks like $hit .
Everyone thinks they "have to" mow that wet stuff. You'd be better off waiting a day or two ,letting it dry off and even if it grows more and get better results.. Its easier to mow 6" dry grass than it is to mow 4" wet grass.
JMO..

Last edited:

Booshcat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah I don't know for sure what exactly takes them so long to mow their lawns alI know is that it takes them forever but I don;t examine them closely when they do it. I'm pretty sure the one guy with the fairly new craftsman riding mower has it because of a psychological testosterone issue. The other 2, I think it's pure laziness. All 3 of them are young, like 40 or under. When they are done their lawns looks like ass, and not a hot chic's a$$, more like a Walmartian's a$$.

I can actually justify a riding mower for myself in terms of my home's property size as well as the amount of other properties I mow, but I don't have a way to transport it nor can I afford said transportation. I also don't have any storage space for it and I always figured a riding mower would cost more to maintain yearly than a push mower. I think about it every couple years, but quickly wake up to reality and just keep push mowing. It's exercise anyhow. I also have a lot of steep-ish banks to mow so I'd still do a lot of push mowing even if I had a rider. I'd say 35% of my mowing is too steep for a rider. But that means it also sucks to push mow lol.
Hey! Be kind
to us guys with psychological testosterone issues!

tcpuccio1

Threads
Bigger is always better. HP means nothing. you want as much torque as you can get. Torque is what does the work. think of it like a race car an engine builder will maybe tell you what the HP is but well never tell you what the Torque is and where it comes in and hits it's peak. the twisting is what gets you down the road or in this case is what spins the blade. about 25-20 years ago there was a "war" in the lawn mower world that manufactures were inflating the HP on the engines more the what it was so someone stepped in and say hey stop doing that and now they list the CC and the "Peak" torque. so in a nut shell get the biggest you can get and Oh I personally would never buy any CRAPSman power equipment. if your looking to replace an engine on a machine look at the Predator engine from Harbor freight they are cheap and really pretty powerful. you tube search project farm this dude tests everything I think you will probably find an engine test in his vast vault of video's and he explains why he tests and what he's testing and it's affect. super smart dude!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Here is an example how torque drops off as the RPM rised to the rated HP (3600 rpm). And every engine spec is different as they can adjust where peak torque occurs.

Briggs 10T502-1022-B1 158CC
1715433796110.png

Davenj4f

Threads
I want to get a mower engine and swap onto my little 21" 140cc Craftsman. I let my yard get way too high and went to mow it, but it was barely able to handle it, and I had to push it 2ft, backtrack 3, then go forward slowly.

Anyway, I was looking at a new mower, but they're all 150 or 170 or 163 cc (for the well rated ones. There's several 200ish cc ones for outrageous money, or with like 2 stars.

So, I'm curious. How much does engine CC actually do? Will I notice a difference between my 140cc and a 150? What about 163 or 170? Where would I need to go to buy a bigger engine that I could just swap onto the mower?
First thing, make sure your blades are sharp. Not like a knife edge, but close. And you want the tip as close to a 90 degree edge as you can get it. Not rounded or curved, that will just push the grass aside. The tip cuts 99% of the grass. Considering how fast the blade spins, the mower moves hundredths of an inch from the time one tip is in front of the mower thill the opposing tip is in front. Then balance the blade. This is just as important as sharpening the blade. An out of balance blade will not spin as fast, and will bog down much easier.

Gord Baker

Threads
I want to get a mower engine and swap onto my little 21" 140cc Craftsman. I let my yard get way too high and went to mow it, but it was barely able to handle it, and I had to push it 2ft, backtrack 3, then go forward slowly.

Anyway, I was looking at a new mower, but they're all 150 or 170 or 163 cc (for the well rated ones. There's several 200ish cc ones for outrageous money, or with like 2 stars.

So, I'm curious. How much does engine CC actually do? Will I notice a difference between my 140cc and a 150? What about 163 or 170? Where would I need to go to buy a bigger engine that I could just swap onto the mower?
It is unlikely that you would notice the difference of 10-20 cc. That is the Piston Displacement like Cu In. on vehicle motors was quoted in. In Racing terms, HP is how fast you hit the wall! Torque is how far you move the wall! You are asking too much of any small push mower. Raise it as high as possible and only mow 1/2 width til you get it under control. Now is a good time to spend the money on the best mower with biggest engine you can find before we are limited to Battery power by the Woke/treehugger/climate fools. Many change back to gas powered units after failing expectations with battery powered units, though they continue to improve.

sbspence

Forum Newbie
Threads
Torque and hp typically go hand in hand but you’re definitely looking for more torque. Hp=faster blade but not necessarily more power Torque=more powerful blade. Or Hp is how fast you hit the wall, Torque us how far you push the wall. Look for an engine with the most torque that will physically fit and work. It’ll help with what you’re looking to do. Now whether you’re deck will handle it in the long term is hard to say. Keep mounting bolts tightand watch for tearing and warping on the deck. Most likely you’ll be fine with the small amounts we’re talking. Shoot for something in the 8ftlb range and it’ll help for sure.