How do you get rid of obsolete mowers?

mois25

Threads
I am not yet a proud owner of one but just recently, a thought was going through my mind. What happens when your mower is finally rendered obsolete? In short, is recycling of mowers possible?

Hershey

Threads
We haven't had one since being green and recycling has come into play. In the past, we tended to use them until they dropped, and then we dropped them into the dump.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Scrap metal... though down from where it has been is still worth doing... I have several ton around, that will be 'recycled' this spring... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Scrap metal... though down from where it has been is still worth doing... I have several ton around, that will be 'recycled' this spring... :smile:KennyV

Kenny, I never scrap one, I save it for parts, running or not. Currently have way too many incuding one I purchased back in 1988.

173abn

Threads
as Kenny said ,what I don't have for parts I take to the local scrap yard .at least you get a few bucks for the old stuff. russ

oldfatguy

Threads
if the mower is real old say like from the late seventies and older there are a lot of nuts out there like me that collect them. the parts can also be sold on e-bay. just something to consider before you scrap a piece that may be valuable or collectible.

touree

Threads
At least there is a ray of hope in being able to turn the obsolete parts into scrap. I know how important parts are; my uncle keeps on running to his old store for old parts and they do serve the purpose extremely well.

minkyung

Threads

KennyV, I can understand scrap metal for tractor or mower parts. But what about the engine? I believe engines last very long. Have you sold an engine for scrap?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... Have you sold an engine for scrap?

I'm sure there have been a few that have made it onto the scrap pile over the years...But usually car or truck engines... Not many small engines, but some... it all melts down and starts again as something else... :smile:KennyV

monica123

Threads
We have 3 right now that my husband plans to combine into one that runs since all 3 don't run right now. I am not sure how practical it is, but it seems to work for him.