how do I know how old a mower is by looking at the serial number?

parishoney7

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / how do I know how old a mower is by looking at the serial number?
I need to buy a used mower. How do I know the year that the mower was made by looking at the serial number? Thanks for your help.

Mikel1

Threads
There are alot of mowers out there, I don't think we have any mind readers. I could be wrong though.:cool:
Now could you give more information on the one your thinking about buying.

parishoney7

Forum Newbie
Threads
There are alot of mowers out there, I don't think we have any mind readers. I could be wrong though.:cool:
Now could you give more information on the one your thinking about buying.

I have not narrowed it down to just 1 mower. I am looking at a lot of riding lawn mowers on craigslist. It is really hard for me to tell the age of a lawnmower by looking at the picture. I wanted to know how to tell the correct age of the mower when I went to look at it in person. Thanks for your help.

Mikel1

Threads
You could try looking model and serial number at the manufacturer's website. Also if the engine is original to the mower you could look that up, for instance the first two digits in code designates year built on Briggs engines. Briggs started that in 1965. Be careful on Craigslist there are some crazy people out there.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have not narrowed it down to just 1 mower. I am looking at a lot of riding lawn mowers on craigslist. It is really hard for me to tell the age of a lawnmower by looking at the picture. I wanted to know how to tell the correct age of the mower when I went to look at it in person. Thanks for your help.
It seems as if nearly every manufacturer has a different system for the mower, and that can change with time, but engine manufacturers are likely to be more consistent with their serial numbers. So unless the engine is a replacement, the engine sr. no. is probably your best choice by looking on the engine manufacturer web site.

parishoney7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your advice was extremely helpful. Most of the mowers that I am looking at have Briggs motors. I will look at manufacturers websites also. Thanks so much for your help.

Mikel1

Threads
No problem, Happy Hunting!