Horse won't start!

Myersjeremy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2 year old Troy-bilt Horse 46" cut with 22hp Kohler. I went out to start it today and nothing! I checked to see if I had power at the starter and did not. My immediate thought was the solenoid. I unbolted it and found that I had power on the battery side and a slight bit of power on the starter side. I assumed it to be bad so I went to the auto parts store and bought a new one. They only had the 3 post one but I figured as long as I grounded the solenoid I would be fine. Hooked it all up and still nothing. I probed around with my test light and noticed power bleeding into the frame and a click near the front of the motor. The click is coming from the carb. I unplugged the connector and solved the hot frame issue but still no start. Any ideas???

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
https://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs...ids=&ddkey=https:Logon#cm_HEADER_OWNER_CENTER
Recommendation, purchase original Troy Bilt parts for your tractor. Purchasing tractor parts from an auto parts store vs. purchasing vehicle parts from Troy Bilt etc., you get the point. Your problem is most certainly a bad ground if your test light lit up when touching frame, engine, etc. Check all ground cables starting with battery for corrosion, connections are tight, reinstall old solenoid and reconnect wire at carburetor that you disconnected. You might have to use scraper and wire brush on frame etc. to have a good ground. You can access Troy Bilt manuals if you have model and serial number for your tractor.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sure sounds like a solenoid problem. But without a wiring diagram the most you can hope for is a lucky guess. Yes maybe first try the right solenoid.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you make sure the battery was good before you took things apart?

I would put everything back the way it was and start over.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I own a older Horse myself and have worked on them in my shop. The wiring on theses old work horses were very simple and easy to work on. It sounds to me it is just like everything else they just added a lot of electronics and switches. I find without a wiring diagram on any of the newer equipment I am lost. You have to remember you are working with different electric. Positive power, Negative power, dc, and ac. They all have there place. Yes most of the time its just battery and cables and a very good place to start. Yes on the older equipment you could do what you are trying to do with the solenoid, but you are having negative electric working here also. Yes I agree start over and use the right parts. It sound to me you are losing amps someplace in a switch???