Honda oil expensive vs

stygz

Threads
I am getting close to doing my final fall service on my HRX. I know Honda oil is not required but will most likely put it in for convience. Anyway at HD Honda oil sells for $4.68 for a
12 oz bottle (exact capacity for my HRX). Actually I think the exact size is 12.6 oz but irrelivent. Anyway 12 oz is about 2.5 a full qt.....$4.68 x 2.5 = $11.70 a qt! Seems cheaper to go with Mobil 1 or other syn.

Side questions: What is the replacement interval of the spark plug? Do any of you just dust off / clean the air filter? I plan on putting in a new air filter at the end of the season (so I start fresh in the spring) but have "cleaned" the filter mid season.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am getting close to doing my final fall service on my HRX. I know Honda oil... = $11.70 a qt!

Side questions: What is the replacement interval of the spark plug? Do any of you just dust off / clean the air filter? I plan on putting in a new air filter at the end of the season (so I start fresh in the spring) but have "cleaned" the filter mid season.

Honda is indeed a bit spendy, no doubt. Honda says to use (any) SAE 10W-30 oil is okay. Synthetic or petroleum are fine, although Honda uses petroleum-type in the engine when it is being certified for emissions. The key factor is to change it every six months or 50 hours, whichever comes first.

The spark plug should be checked every 100 hours or each year. You can clean it and re-use if okay. At 150 hours, it should be replaced.

You can use gentle amounts of compressed air to backwash the air filter to clear it of foreign materials, dirt, dust, etc. Tap it on a hard surface to knock loose larger bits. When the filter becomes torn, worn, or shows any damage, cracks, etc., it should be replaced. The maintenance schedule says to replace at 150 hours or two years, but sooner if used in dusty or dirty environments.

Spark plug part number is 98079-55846, $2.98, set gap to 0.7~0.8mm (0.028~0.031 in.)
Air filter part number is 17211-ZL8-023, $5.66.

Hot Rod Tip: You can update any Honda GCV mower engine (HRR, HRX) to the better 2-stage air cleaner and filters used on the Honda HRC215, which uses the commercial-grade GSV160 engine. You need to two filters, and the screen grid, and the deeper air filter cover. The extra foam element acts like a pre-cleaner and can be easily cleaned and re-oiled:

hrcairfilter_zpsb8d1d49b.jpg

Parts:
Cover, air cleaner dual: 17231-Z2B-020, $3.36
Filter, outer (foam): 17218-Z2A-000, $4.08
Grid, air cleaner: 17212-Z2A-000, $1.80
Element, air cleaner paper: 17211-ZL8-023, $5.66

The shop manual says to use regular 10W-30 engine oil on the foam element, but Honda offers a MOTUL oil just for this application. It is more sticky and water-repellant than just engine oil: 4 ounce bottle is part number 08207-MTL-100, $7.56.

stygz

Threads
Good tip on the upgraded air filter! I may do that this winter. Yes the 10w30 on the foam would end up pooling and causing a mess. Best get air filter oil.

crosstalk

Threads
Great tip about upgrading the air filter because air filtration is key for a long lasting engine. Question about this though: is the foam element going to restrict air flow through the carburetor so the engine runs rich (without adjustment) and/or governor hunts?

stygz

Threads
Restriction should be little. Idealy you want to oil the foam filter but with a 2 stage set up like this it would not be necessary. I probably will not oil the filter....I will just treat it as a prefilter for the big stuff.

On a side note It looks like the HRX will get Mobil 1 10w30 as it is on sale at my base exchange for $4.49 a qt...almost 3 oil changes!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Great tip about upgrading the air filter because air filtration is key for a long lasting engine. Question about this though: is the foam element going to restrict air flow through the carburetor so the engine runs rich (without adjustment) and/or governor hunts?

Not that I can tell, as I've done the update and put the foam and paper filters from the HRC on my HRX, and it runs fine.

The paper filter is the more restrictive, for fine particles. The foam filer does not any any extra restriction to the airflow, and is designed to catch larger particles before they reach the paper filter. Since the foam filter can be removed and cleaned, it helps extend the useful life of the paper filter.

GregGA

Threads
Not that I can tell, as I've done the update and put the foam and paper filters from the HRC on my HRX, and it runs fine.

The paper filter is the more restrictive, for fine particles. The foam filer does not any any extra restriction to the airflow, and is designed to catch larger particles before they reach the paper filter. Since the foam filter can be removed and cleaned, it helps extend the useful life of the paper filter.

Thanks Robert! I have ordered these parts for my HRX.

GregGA

Threads
Thanks Robert! I have ordered these parts for my HRX.

Got the parts in today, and I am ready to continue the dusty job of mulching all the leaves in my yard ! I have some chainsaw bar oil I am going to use on the pre-filter: $7.00 a GALLON at Tractor Supply Co. Thanks again for the up grade tip, Robert.

stygz

Threads
Got the parts in today, and I am ready to continue the dusty job of mulching all the leaves in my yard ! I have some chainsaw bar oil I am going to use on the pre-filter: $7.00 a GALLON at Tractor Supply Co. Thanks again for the up grade tip, Robert.

Be prepared for the bar oil to migrate to the bottom of the filter and airfilter cover.

GregGA

Threads
Be prepared for the bar oil to migrate to the bottom of the filter and airfilter cover.

I'm just going to give it a very light coat. The pre-filter came with a super light coat of oil on it. The bar oil has a "tackififer" in it which makes it better, IMHO, than the 10-30 oil recommended by Honda. I'll report on any problems, but I'm just going to use a brush and coat it lightly that way. Kind of like a K&N auto filter.