Honda mowers power differences between GXV140 and GXV160

FriedChicken

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda mowers power differences between GXV140 and GXV160
Anyone have real world experiences using a Honda mower equipped with a GXV140 and a GXV160? I'm trying to justify buying a new Honda HRC216 to add to my stable Honda mowers (currently 2 aluminum deck master series mowers). Trying to understand if there is an appreciable power difference between the GXV140 and GXV160 in real world use. HP numbers are very similar but the torque seems to be considerably higher on the GXV 160 but maybe I'm reading the power curves wrong on these motors. My current master's line of mowers are great and do have sufficient power for my little plot of land and the type of grass I mow. Trying to justify buying the "best of the last" from Honda but at $1800 canuck bucks... definitely steep. In other words, will investing in a HRC216 mower appreciably change my mowing experience over what I'm running today by a noticeable margin?

Really seeking feedback from other owners that own the old school Honda aluminum deckmowers to a new shiny 2023 HRC 216.

HurstGN

Threads
I was considering selling an HRX that is currently excess to my needs. After Honda's decision to stop producing mowers I decided to keep it. That may also weigh in your decision.

FriedChicken

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is precisely why I'm looking at the HRC. Much to my amazement nobody in the many years that YouTube has been around has bothered making a youTube vid on the aluminum deck master's series let alone doing a comparison between a Master's series mower and the current commercial series units. I had a chance to buy a lightly used HRC 216 years ago but the asking price I felt at the time was a bit too much - seems like a bargain by today's prices!

If Honda didn't annouce they were exiting manufacturing from the US then I wouldn't be so inclined to even bother but the CLOSEST thing to what I currently own is in fact the HRC. The HRX line while nice, isn't quite in the same leauge as the old shaft driven hydrostat units. Literally built to last 50+ years.

Glad to hear you kept your HRX. I've used them before and they're are admittedly extremely nice. If they had a GX motor on it, I'd absolutely get one :)

volvofan94

Threads
I rebuilt a Honda HR215 HXA masters series mower last year. Best mower of the fleet and I’m glad I saved it from an untimely demise (it was someone’s parts mower and going no where fast). I have this one and a HRX217 Harmony series. Both are hydrostatic models.

Between the GXV140 and GCV190, I prefer the GXV140. Plus direct drive on the HR215 is superior to belt drive, IMO. I can tell a difference in cruising speed when mowing with either mower. I saw a HRC216 for sale new locally last spring, but at ~$1200 USD it was steep price for me. However, it got me thinking about taking on the HR215 project; plus nostalgia kicked in too (I mowed with a HR214HXA when I was younger).

Both mowers will stay. However, my favorite has to be the HR215 because of the direct drive.

Back44L&G

Threads
After the Honda engine recall, Home Depot received a limited supply of Honda Self-Propelled mowers. Lowe's isn't carrying any Honda mowers except for parts, but they now carry a full line of Toro walk-behind mowers.

If you want a residential Honda walk-behind mower, now may be the best time to get one. I suspect that after these are sold, Honda will follow through with their stated cessation of manufacturing these gasoline-powered lawnmowers. Three Honda models are available at Home Depot:
  1. Base Model with Steel deck, GCV170, HRN216VKAD $549, 3-year warranty, 891 available;
  2. Nexite Deck, GCV200, HRX217VKA $799, 5-yr warranty, 53 available;
  3. Steel Deck with Blade Stop, GCV170, HRN216VYAD $899, 3-yr Warranty, 74 available
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment/Honda/Variable/N-5yc1vZbx5cZ3leZ1z0texv/Ntk-elasticplus/Ntt-Honda+Lawnmowers?NCNI-5&sortby=bestmatch&sortorder=none

Last edited:

FriedChicken

Forum Newbie
Threads
I rebuilt a Honda HR215 HXA masters series mower last year. Best mower of the fleet and I’m glad I saved it from an untimely demise (it was someone’s parts mower and going no where fast). I have this one and a HRX217 Harmony series. Both are hydrostatic models.

Between the GXV140 and GCV190, I prefer the GXV140. Plus direct drive on the HR215 is superior to belt drive, IMO. I can tell a difference in cruising speed when mowing with either mower. I saw a HRC216 for sale new locally last spring, but at ~$1200 USD it was steep price for me. However, it got me thinking about taking on the HR215 project; plus nostalgia kicked in too (I mowed with a HR214HXA when I was younger).

Both mowers will stay. However, my favorite has to be the HR215 because of the direct drive
The funny thing is BOTH my master's series mowers are like new/pristine/borderline showroom condition with some spare parts that are a bit hard to get (grass catcher bag for my HR195 for example is no longer available but I have one brand new on my shelf). There isn't really a need for a new HRC216 but I guess I'm holding onto a bit of nostalgia and I'm unwilling to believe that future electric will satiate my cravings for an insanely engineered push mower that will not only outlast me but possibly my offspring too. If I have to rebuild my current HR215 and HR195 then it would pretty much be new rings and engine seals during the rering process otherwise I won't have a need to fix the mower b/c they run perfectly. They get a good cleaning treatment at year end I and don't just mow anything with it. Grass is clean, no rocks, no fertilizer and mostly just moist or dry before I'm willing to cut it (yes I'm that anal). The HR216 is more a "time capsule" thing for me. I didn't even want honda to assemble it. Just give it to me in the box and I'll find a spot somwhere in my garage to jam it into a corner to use if needed or to hand down to my kid.

FriedChicken

Forum Newbie
Threads
After the Honda engine recall, Home Depot received a limited supply of Honda Self-Propelled mowers. Lowe's isn't carrying any Honda mowers except for parts, but they now carry a full line of Toro walk-behind mowers.

If you want a Honda walk-behind mower, now may be the best time to get one. I suspect that after these are sold, Honda will follow through with their stated cessation of manufacturing these gasoline-powered lawnmowers. Three Honda models are available at Home Depot:
  1. Base Model with Steel deck, GCV170, HRN216VKAD $549, 3-year warranty, 891 available;
  2. Nexite Deck, GCV200, HRX217VKA $799, 5-yr warranty, 53 available;
  3. Steel Deck with Blade Stop, GCV170, HRN216VYAD $899, 3-yr Warranty, 74 available
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment/Honda/Variable/N-5yc1vZbx5cZ3leZ1z0texv/Ntk-elasticplus/Ntt-Honda+Lawnmowers?NCNI-5&sortby=bestmatch&sortorder=none
yeah I wished that the HRC would go on sale but alas those days are long long long gone. I recall the HRCs in Canada would in april, go on sale and sell for about $100 off retail but I haven't see the HRC on promo in AGES. I wonder if Honda would run an aggressive promo campaign to rid themselves of the inventory. Who knows... maybe in April/May I might get lucky :)

HurstGN

Threads
Personally, I think it will be very unlikely Honda will have that promo campaign. But store managers may have something near the end of the season. Which would mean one store may have a blowout deal while the next store may still be selling at list prices. I think that all will depend upon the dealer pricing agreements with Honda and how long those can be enforced.

FriedChicken

Forum Newbie
Threads
hmm that's kinda crappy to hear. I was legit hoping they'd hold a power up event for yard care equipment again but if not... oh well. My logic is that if by late may they have an HRC216 available still that it was meant to be to own one and if they don't then I'll truck along just fine with my 2 existing aluminum deck Honda's.

Back44L&G

Threads
https://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers
From the Honda website (bottom of page) are the listed HRC commercial mowers. My local Honda dealer didn't receive any Honda lawnmowers for all of 2023. I'd have to drive to the next county to buy one from a dealer. When I visited my former Honda dealer last fall, he was carrying the Australian mower line made by Masport. And, I have noticed more Masport dealerships across my state particularly along coastal areas.