Honda Mower Cam Shaft Recall

Rouillier

Threads
Has anyone had problems with Honda Power Equipment latest recall due to mower cam shaft issues. Has anyone been removed from Facebook Honda group groups for voicing a complaint?

Scott_HRR

Threads
Lots of people have had problems with the cam shaft. Honda recently changed their process (materials?) when manufacturing the camshaft which is a composite material. As a result the cam is failing right out of the gate. If someone has better facts on this cam issue please jump in.

I’ve replaced the cam twice on other peoples mowers and they work fine now. I’d say the only issue I’ve seen with the recall is people have dropped in new cams not realizing the timing marks must be aligned then gave the mower back to the customer without first running the thing to make sure the engine is operating properly.

The manufacturing process has been corrected and replacing the cam is a very simple process. My HRR is over ten years old and has the composite cam. Just did a valve adjustment and it has zero wear so it’s obvious if made properly it will hold up just fine.

primerbulb120

Threads
Lots of people have had problems with the cam shaft. Honda recently changed their process (materials?) when manufacturing the camshaft which is a composite material. As a result the cam is failing right out of the gate. If someone has better facts on this cam issue please jump in.

I’ve replaced the cam twice on other peoples mowers and they work fine now. I’d say the only issue I’ve seen with the recall is people have dropped in new cams not realizing the timing marks must be aligned then gave the mower back to the customer without first running the thing to make sure the engine is operating properly.

The manufacturing process has been corrected and replacing the cam is a very simple process. My HRR is over ten years old and has the composite cam. Just did a valve adjustment and it has zero wear so it’s obvious if made properly it will hold up just fine.
Important distinction - Honda completely redesigned the GCV series recently, and the recall involves the compression release failing on the newer GCV170 and GCV200. If yours is over 10 years old, it's a GCV160 or GCV190 which didn't have this issue. The GCV160 and GCV190 are also OHC which makes cam replacement relatively easy, as opposed to the OHV GCV170 and GCV200 which require extensive disassembly to replace it.

primerbulb120

Threads

Important distinction - Honda completely redesigned the GCV series recently, and the recall involves the compression release failing on the newer GCV170 and GCV200. If yours is over 10 years old, it's a GCV160 or GCV190 which didn't have this issue. The GCV160 and GCV190 are also OHC which makes cam replacement relatively easy, as opposed to the OHV GCV170 and GCV200 which require extensive disassembly to replace it.

Wolfepack88

Threads
I just wanted to let you guys know that I had to have my entire engine replaced. Ever since I got the mower back from the original camshaft repair I have had to always add some oil after every other use. I thought man this uses oil up but didn't think anything of it as there were no noticeable leaks. Literally one of my last mows, I noticed oil all over at the end of my mow. Well I dropped my Honda mower off on November 14, 2023 and just picked it up today. I never knew what the problem was but the receipt says rebuild engine. The parts listed are:

Camshaft assembly
Connecting Rod
Crankcase assembly
cranckcase cover
crankshaft
cylinder
flywheel
coil assembly, ignition
piston
ring set, piston
clip
oring

Hopefully this thing isn't a lemon or perhaps the original camshaft repair was not completely properly as referenced in one of the posts above. It's February so I can't really even test it yet so I hope when mowing starts up in the end of March or early April I am good to go.