Honda HRX217HZAA | Hydrostatic Transmission Turns Rear Wheels Slow

volvofan94

Threads
  • / Honda HRX217HZAA | Hydrostatic Transmission Turns Rear Wheels Slow
Hi All,

I’m troubleshooting a problem with my project Honda HRX217HZAA lawn mower’s hydrostatic transmission. After completing the engine rebuild and getting it running, I tested all systems: blade clutch and transmission.

The blade clutch works well, but when I engage the self propel the mower barely moves itself forward. I changed the hydrostatic transmission fluid last night and reassembled the mower. Today I try using it to mow the lawn, the same problem exists. Also there is some resistance when I push the mower forward; to me it seems slightly more effort is required to move the mower forward when compared to my other HRX217HYAA.

I used genuine Honda hydrostatic transmission fluid and turned the input shaft counterclockwise with the drive engaged, the axle spun close to the same RPM as the input shaft. I tested spinning the input shaft clockwise, but nothing happened which may be by design. The drive is still engaged at this point. I think I got all the air out. Let’s reassemble then test.

My questions are:
1. Could overfilling the transmission cause this problem? There wasn’t instructions I could find online to follow that I could find after doing a quick internet search to perform the maintenance.
2. Could the transmission need a full rebuild?
3. Did I not get all the air out of the transmission?

Appreciate any help and suggestions!!

Thank you,
-volvofan94

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Keeping parts seperated, disassemble right & left rear wheels, clean & inspect all parts for wear & replace as necessary. Inspect drive cable for operation, adjustment, wear, free play, etc. When mowing do you keep engine at full throttle?

Last edited:

volvofan94

Threads
Yup, the engine is at full throttle. I don’t know the RPMs it’s running at off hand because the PO took the governor arm off. I reinstalled it according to a Honda guide I found online during the rebuild. The blades engage with minimal RPM drop.

Both rear wheels were disassembled, greased then reassembled when the transmission fluid was changed.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bleed air from transmission procedure: Safety First: rear wheels off ground with 4x4 under rear deck, start engine & warm up, go to full throttle & operate forward & reverse controls several times & see if wheels speed up

volvofan94

Threads
Thanks Mechanic Mark!

Will give that procedure a try tomorrow then report back.

Since the mower doesn’t have reverse, I’ll try each gear with the engine speed on rabbit or full speed then observe the result on the wheels. Is there a drain or breather opening which needs to be open to fully expel the air if any is trapped?

Last edited:

volvofan94

Threads
Last evening I looked at the mower, but no luck. In a final attempt effort I will remove the transmission then open it up to see if I can find anything wrong. I know there’s no user serviceable parts inside. If the transmission is toast at least I can learn how it works. lol. Then I’ll buy a new one, I’ve spent enough on this mower and I’ll keep it.

My thought it may be a problem with the control arm not letting enough fluid through? The wheels slightly spin if the control lever is fully opened. I have another HRX217HYAA I can compare which has a working transmission and I set this one up similarly, but the wheels don’t spin with the engine running on fast speed. I bled most if not all the air out of the transmission too.

Engine RPM is within spec: 3300 RPM no load and 3100-ish with the blades and drive on.

volvofan94

Threads
Quick update to the thread...

I ended up purchasing a new OEM Honda transmission (part number above) and installed it today. There’s improvement with how the rear wheels spin, but on the grass or going uphill, the mower continues to act like a push mower, there‘s no effort given by the self propel system to move it in any gear.

What should I look into next to get it moving?

Appreciate any and all suggestions…beginning to run out of ideas on this one.

Thanks!!