Honda HRR216VKA: Want to add the roto-stop system and adjustable throttle control.

pglover19

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HRR216VKA: Want to add the roto-stop system and adjustable throttle control.
I just got a great deal on a brand new Honda HRR216K9VKA lawnmower. However; I want to add the roto-stop blade system and the adjustable throttle control to make this lawn mower the same as the HRR216K9VYA model. Is it possible? If yes, do anyone know all the parts to purchase?

pglover19

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HRR216VKA: Want to add the roto-stop system and adjustable throttle control.
Could someone please post the service manual for both mowers (HRR216K9VKA & HRR216K9VYA) so I can see the parts breakdown of the roto-stop blade system and the adjustable throttle control on HRR216K9VYA.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could someone please post the service manual for both mowers (HRR216K9VKA & HRR216K9VYA) so I can see the parts breakdown of the roto-stop blade system and the adjustable throttle control on HRR216K9VYA.

Honda does not offer digital versions of the shop manuals; any copies you may find online are not legitimate. Paper shop manuals are available direct from Honda via Amazon or eBay; here are the links for the one for your HRR mower:

Amazon.com: Honda HRR216 VKA Lawn Mower Service Repair Shop Manual: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Honda HRR216 VKA Lawn Mower Service Repair Shop Manual | eBay

A full parts catalog is available from any Honda dealer; here's a link to find one in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

It's a rather extensive and costly job to add the Roto-Stop and adjustable throttle. The Roto-Stop (VYA) mower uses a different crankshaft than the Flywheel Brake (VKA) mower. The control levers, cables, carburetor, control plate, plus all the Roto-Stop parts would need to be updated, and buying all the parts from a dealer would be very expensive. You'd be much better off to sell this mower and find one that already has a Roto-Stop. I'd estimate you'd spend $250+ in parts alone trying to covert it over, so not cost effective.

pglover19

Forum Newbie
Threads
Honda does not offer digital versions of the shop manuals; any copies you may find online are not legitimate. Paper shop manuals are available direct from Honda via Amazon or eBay; here are the links for the one for your HRR mower:

Amazon.com: Honda HRR216 VKA Lawn Mower Service Repair Shop Manual: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Honda HRR216 VKA Lawn Mower Service Repair Shop Manual | eBay

A full parts catalog is available from any Honda dealer; here's a link to find one in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

It's a rather extensive and costly job to add the Roto-Stop and adjustable throttle. The Roto-Stop (VYA) mower uses a different crankshaft than the Flywheel Brake (VKA) mower. The control levers, cables, carburetor, control plate, plus all the Roto-Stop parts would need to be updated, and buying all the parts from a dealer would be very expensive. You'd be much better off to sell this mower and find one that already has a Roto-Stop. I'd estimate you'd spend $250+ in parts alone trying to covert it over, so not cost effective.

Agreed... How useful is the Roto-Stop system and the adjustable throttle control? I have about .75 acres in which I use my John Deere riding mower for most of the cutting...

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agreed... How useful is the Roto-Stop system and the adjustable throttle control? I have about .75 acres in which I use my John Deere riding mower for most of the cutting...

If you bag, Roto-Stop is nice; you can let go of the lever(s) and the blade stops, engine keeps going. If you mulch or discharge clippings, not a whole lot of advantage for the $100 extra cost, unless you have a difficult time operating a pull-starter. Honda engines are generally easy to start if kept in good tune and used with fresh fuel. There is one HRR model that had a flywheel brake and electric start, which is almost a wash over a Roto-Stop. Push in and hold the lever, then turn a key, vs. just pushing in the Roto-Stop lever...

The adjustable throttle is only useful for slowing the engine when the blades are stopped (Roto-Stop) to cut down on the noise and fuel use. Otherwise, you always want the engine running at maximum speed to keep the blades spinning very fast for the absolute best cut quality and finish. This is why only the Roto-Stop models have a throttle these days, and all other flywheel-brake designs have a fixed throttle type.