honda hrg 536 transmission

islayhawk

Forum Newbie
Threads
why should my hrg 536 stop being capable of being pulled backwards. Last year it was getting harder to do. This year when I try the back wheels lock and will not freewheel

islayhawk

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
On the top rear area of the mower deck is a serial number for the mower.

If you'll share that number with me, I can look up to see what service materials are available. There may be a service bulletin or other procedure that can help resolve the problem.

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

rorysgardens

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hiya sorry to jump on your thread
I am having exactly that problem too. My Serial number is MZCG - 7670053, Robert are you able to help?
Many Thanks

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The HRG536 is a European model, not sold in the USA, and the information I have is limited (I'm USA based, and nearly all my resources are USA-only models).

Anyway, the HRG536 is similar to the USA's HRR series, and the #1 reason for a "not rolling backwards" issue is a problem with the drive cable. It can be bent so the transmission is at least partially engaged even though you are hands-off on all the controls. If the transmission is even slightly engaged, the unit will not roll backwards.

So check the cable first and confirm when the drive lever/control is released, the arm and linkage on the transmission are fully released as well.

#2 reason is debris or other material causing drag on the rear axle. Disassemble, inspect, clean, grease, etc.

Here's a detailed service bulletin:

Attachments

• smart drive troubleshooting and diagnosis.pdf
    704.6 KB · Views: 37

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The reason for hard to pull backwards is usually the bushes get dry on the rear axle between the height of cut levers. lubricate them and it does make it easier.
The other thing is the transmission themselves can cause the problem from the inside.
Its only the 53 that has a crap transmission. Many have been made into push mowers.
The 42 and 48 dont have problems.