Honda HR214 SX Transmission Problem

DenverJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently acquired the above referenced mower. Added gas and it started easily :licking: Problem is the transmission will not propel the mower in any of the two speeds. If I lift it up off the back wheels, they will spin. All cables are taught and new looking. I have looked throughout this site and Googled it, to no avail. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks much in advance.

DenverJohn

chance123

Threads
If you were to lift the rear of the machine off the ground and rotate the wheels in a forward direction, do you hear a clicking/ratcheting sound?
I guess you could also push the machine forward to hear this sound. If you DON'T hear that sound, remove the drive wheels and inspect/replace the small "Ratchet holder". They are small rings with small claw like protrusions that are spring loaded. Mark the left and the right side because they are not the same.

DenverJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you were to lift the rear of the machine off the ground and rotate the wheels in a forward direction, do you hear a clicking/ratcheting sound?
I guess you could also push the machine forward to hear this sound. If you DON'T hear that sound, remove the drive wheels and inspect/replace the small "Ratchet holder". They are small rings with small claw like protrusions that are spring loaded. Mark the left and the right side because they are not the same.

Very good question and one I looked at last night. The "left" wheel I removed and checked. It appears to ratchet correctly and I do not see any improper wear. The "right" wheel, closest to the transmission I was not able to remove to check. Just needed a little more strength to remove the wheel. It does not ratchet the same as the left. :thumbdown: Should they both ratchet the same? Sorry for the newbie response. I will attempt again to remove the right wheel. I assume you feel that may be the issue. Perhaps this may be an easy fix. Hope so. Everything seems tight, clean, springs all seem to be connected securely.

Thanks for your help.

DenverJohn

DenverJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Very good question and one I looked at last night. The "left" wheel I removed and checked. It appears to ratchet correctly and I do not see any improper wear. The "right" wheel, closest to the transmission I was not able to remove to check. Just needed a little more strength to remove the wheel. It does not ratchet the same as the left. :thumbdown: Should they both ratchet the same? Sorry for the newbie response. I will attempt again to remove the right wheel. I assume you feel that may be the issue. Perhaps this may be an easy fix. Hope so. Everything seems tight, clean, springs all seem to be connected securely.

Thanks for your help.

DenverJohn

OK, pulled the "right" wheel and found some interesting nuggets. See attached picture. Looks like the "C" clamp or pin has come off the wheel bearing piece. Had that extra little doowinkie that came off with the wheel and clamp. Thinking that should be attached to something.:laughing: Now I'm thinking that should be the first thingie I try to replace. Anyone know where I might be able to find that doowinkie thingie that needs to be my first step. I also need a bag without frame. Seems a little worn on the bottom. Only a 12" worn out area!

Just found the other doowinkie. See pic.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• Honda HR214 Right Wheel Inards.jpg
    Honda HR214 Right Wheel Inards.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Another Piece.jpg
    Another Piece.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

chance123

Threads
OK
That ratchet holder assy. needs to be replaced. They are not that expensive. Replace that and see how things function after that.

DenverJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK
That ratchet holder assy. needs to be replaced. They are not that expensive. Replace that and see how things function after that.

Any thoughts of a good place to find. Sorry to be so needy.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Find a Honda dealer here:

Honda Power Equipment - Find a dealer

Have the serial number off the back of your mower deck. It's in the form of "HXXX-1234567"

Here's a drawing of typical parts for the HR215SX rear wheels:

rearwheel_zps46a4c48b.jpg

bwdbrn1

Threads
Looks like it was put back into the wheel carelessly causing the pawls to slip out of place. It's best to place them back in with one pawl in, then use a small tool to push in on the opposite pawl to get it into the wheel.

Don't forget that there is a difference between the right side and left side to those ratchets. Like was said, you should hear a faint clicking sound when you roll the mower forward, and when you squeeze the drive lever at the handle, the wheels should lock when you pull it backwards.

DenverJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Big thanks to all that assisted me on this thread. I now a have very well working HR214SX. Also many thanks Plano Power Equipment for the access to many parts and accessories. No I do not work for them. Only an endorsement of their expertise, experience, parts (Glen) for this unit.:thumbsup: Now I need to sell it to find another money pit free mower I can tinker with in my spare time.:licking: