Honda HR214 self propel stopped working

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The drive shaft has some pins that break in the universal joints at each end
So you start the diagnosis by checking that the drive shaft is providing drive to the gear box
Thus first part is to check the drive shaft
There are also some fine splines that can wear flat
So you pinch it when the engine is running and see if it stops turning
Be careful as you can get your fingers caught and the engine has more than enough torque to rip a finger off
If you start to apply pressure to the shaft and it continues to turn quietly or the engine starts to slow down a bit then it is OK
The rubber boots are supposed to be pulled back & the universals greased but I am yet to see one where the home owners has actually done this .

SF1

Threads
The drive shaft has some pins that break in the universal joints at each end
So you start the diagnosis by checking that the drive shaft is providing drive to the gear box
Thus first part is to check the drive shaft
There are also some fine splines that can wear flat
So you pinch it when the engine is running and see if it stops turning
Be careful as you can get your fingers caught and the engine has more than enough torque to rip a finger off
If you start to apply pressure to the shaft and it continues to turn quietly or the engine starts to slow down a bit then it is OK
The rubber boots are supposed to be pulled back & the universals greased but I am yet to see one where the home owners has actually done this .
Thanks, definitely a little clearer now. I also found some videos on YouTube that might help. Btw, I'm actually one homeowner that does pull the boots back and lubes them with PB blaster (I know I should use grease, gotta get some) but I do it after every cut, or after every 2 cuts ? Thanks for the help 👍

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the boots are in good nick once or twice a season will be fine
I thought I uploaded this diagram before
215 gearbox.jpg
part 22 & 7 are the ones that usually wear if your problem is in the gear box and not in the drive ratchet as Rivets has already covered
To test those you need to raise the mower & support it very securely
start the engine clap the drive in the on position then grab the axel ( part 12 )
If it stops the problem is in your box if it does not stop then the problem is in the wheel ratchets .
Start from the rear axel & work back or from the drive shaft & work forward .

If you end up diagnosing the box as the problem try moving the clutch lever # 22 one spine further around.
Using it like that will destroy # 22 & # 7 so it is diagnosis purposes only .

I usually find these boxes to be bone dry which is why # 22 & # 7 wear prematurely

SF1

Threads
Ok, wow this will be a challenging fix for me, I'm definitely getting a buddy to help me with this one, he's no professional but knows way more than me. If I had to pay a shop to do this it would cost an arm and a leg, wouldn't be worth it. I just hope we can do it. Thank you for the clarification !

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
These are very robust units
I probably replace 20 wheel ratchets for every box I rebuild
The box is a PIA to remove & replace and the Honda manual assumes you are a factory trained mechanic
This is the instructions from my wholesaler for removing & replacing the entire unit .

Attachments

• 3-spd-gearbox-assy-fitting-instructions-v5.pdf
    972 KB · Views: 14

SF1

Threads
These are very robust units
I probably replace 20 wheel ratchets for every box I rebuild
The box is a PIA to remove & replace and the Honda manual assumes you are a factory trained mechanic
This is the instructions from my wholesaler for removing & replacing the entire unit .
I'm just seeing this message, thank you a whole lot for that. Yes, most manuals definitely assume that you're factory trained, to me that's by design and done intentionally, they make the diagrams like that too, so people like me will go crazy trying to replace linkages or springs. It's almost impossible for me to go by the diagrams. I will let you know how I make out. I'm also working on my troy Bilt lx1842, have to tighten the belt tensioner because the PTO is not engaging, and the belt is too loose. Thank God I have a spare or I'd really be up shits creek. Thank you 👍

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On manual blade engagements the pivot hole and whatever it swings on wear .
A tiny amount of wear at the axis is a big movement at the pulley and then there are angles to take into account
The hole can generally welded up & recut round.
Good mowers will have a replaceable bush, cheaper ones just have a shouldered bolt

smzimmer52

Forum Newbie
Threads
HR214 is > 30 years old. The transmission seals become brittle over time and leak. The HR 214 uses 90 weight gear oil inside the transmission. If level gets too low transmission will not self propel. I speak from experience as I just rebuilt a transmission in HR 215 SX which is 3 speed vs. HR 215 2 speed. I have photos of the breakdown. In all likelihood gears should be gone. Transmission and engine interface via governor shaft. There is another seal between engine and governor shaft. Seal is very small in diameter. Contact me if you need additional info. @ zimmerman.stephen@gmail.com

first pull

Threads
Hello everyone, I have a classic Honda hr214 push mower, that's been my trust and dependable mower for the last 25 years.
Anyway, to make a long story short the self propel and the stop engage stopped working at the same time. The stop lever is not a big deal cause I just shut it off manually. My main concern is the transmission. When the self propel stopped working one day, then a day later it was working again ? Let me just say that for all of the years I've owned this mower, I've always changed the oil at the beginning of the season, but this year that wasn't the case. So, after the self propel stopped working for the second time I had checked the oil and it was very low, and there was a creamy white residue on the dipstick, so I immediately drained the oil and there was a decent amount of oil that came out. Btw, I cleaned everything in there thoroughly carb cleaner and blew air with my compressor before I put the new oil in it.
So what I'm getting at, can this be the reason for the problem ? Did I blow the tranny ? If anyone has ever experienced something like this please let me know. Btw, I've attached some pictures, I hope they help. Thank you !
Replace the ground drive belt

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First pull this is a shaft drive system, no belt.