Honda harmony HRM215 problems

javjacob

Threads
I have been having problems with my Honda stalling. Its a 96 model my parents bought new and I got it in 08 when I bought my house. I always had to engage the blades very slowly or it would stall but once engaged it ran fine but didn't handle tall or thick grass very well at all. Last year it started running worse and yesterday I tried to mow with it and it ran great for the first 10 minutes or so then it started stalling. Seems like the motor just doesn't have enough power but it seems to have plenty of power at first. It doesn't smoke or anything. After a while it wouldn't run at idle or full throttle, I had to run it with the lever all the way on choke. Then it started running at full throttle like it was at idle then would rev up like normal and go back and forth.
Finally it wouldn't cut grass so I shut it off and got my John Deere to finish the job. I like to use the Honda to mow my ditches and other hard to get into places for my John Deere.

I am not sure if I just need to clean the carb or if it could be another issue because it doesn't act like a dirty carb issue. What do you experts think? I am going to clean the carb first and I will report back. BTW it has fresh gas, a new air filter, new spark plug and fresh oil. My other thought is it could be an electrical issue?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
it wouldn't run at idle or full throttle, I had to run it with the lever all the way on choke. Then it started running at full throttle like it was at idle then would rev up like normal and go back and forth.

These are classic dirty/fouled carburetor symptoms. Modern ethanol fuel decays rapidly, even when treated with stabilizer. For this older HRM215 model, a entire new carb is a bit spendy, about $45.00, but may be worth while if you don't want to try and perfectly, methodically and precisely clean the old carb. All it takes is a tiny bit of slime and the engine will run crummy. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a cleaning procedure. Of course, you'll want to check other relative items, air cleaner filters, spark plug, etc. but it sure smells like a carb problem...

If you do decide to get a new carb, you'll need the serial number off the back of the mower deck, as early versions used a different carb than most later ones. The serial number is in the form of MXXX-1234567. Your local Honda dealer can look-up the number for the correct carb and get you a price quote; here's a link to find one in near your ZIP code:

Find A Honda Dealer

If you would prefer to find the carb online, use this site to do the look-up, then Google the part number to find a dealer selling online:
Honda Power Equipment, Engines and Marine Factory Parts Lookup

javjacob

Threads
$45 for a new carb doesn't really sound all that bad to be honest. I was thinking the carb probably needs to be rebuilt anyway so a new carb would be a lot easier and probably not much more than what a rebuild kit would cost. I will get the serial number tomorrow. Is there any places on line I can order Honda parts from?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
$45 for a new carb doesn't really sound all that bad to be honest. I was thinking the carb probably needs to be rebuilt anyway so a new carb would be a lot easier and probably not much more than what a rebuild kit would cost. I will get the serial number tomorrow. Is there any places on line I can order Honda parts from?

Once you get the serial number, look up the part number for your exact mower on the official Honda parts site ( Honda Power Equipment, Engines and Marine Factory Parts Lookup )

carb_zpsbjqqis4j.jpg

Then just Google the full part number to find a dealer selling online. Also, many Honda dealers have parts look-up sites, a popular one is [url]www.boats.net[/URL], for example.

javjacob

Threads
The serial number is MZBB-63375xx. I'm not sure what exact model mine is to look it up. Thanks for the help! BTW its a self propelled hydrostat with blade brake clutch and it has the poly deck. I think that makes it a HXA?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The serial number is MZBB-63375xx. I'm not sure what exact model mine is to look it up. Thanks for the help! BTW its a self propelled hydrostat with blade brake clutch and it has the poly deck. I think that makes it a HXA?

Yes HRM215HXA is correct. Carb p/n is 16100-ZG9-M10 Google the part number to find a dealer selling online

javjacob

Threads
Thank you for all the help. I am going to hopefully pull the carb off tonight to inspect and clean it. If I have any problems I will buy a new carb. Do I need to buy gaskets and which ones do I need to get? I see there are several gaskets on both sides of the carb. I suppose I will know better once I get the old carb off. Hopefully its not too hard to do.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you for all the help. I am going to hopefully pull the carb off tonight to inspect and clean it. If I have any problems I will buy a new carb. Do I need to buy gaskets and which ones do I need to get? I see there are several gaskets on both sides of the carb. I suppose I will know better once I get the old carb off. Hopefully its not too hard to do.

If the gaskets come off in one piece, and aren't totally crushed, you can reuse them. That said, as long as you're ordering a carburetor, I'd get new gaskets anyway (they are cheap) just in case.

Be very careful when you disassemble everything, and note the position and orientation of all the loose parts. It is easy to get a gasket, insulator or spacer on upside-down or backwards, and any one of them in the wrong position = no start. Don't over-tighten the two long bolts that hold everything together. Remember, they are screwing into the aluminum block of the engine, so easy-does-it. Snug enough to prevent air leaks is all you need.

javjacob

Threads
Thanks I will keep all that in mind.

javjacob

Threads
About to order parts and I see there are 3 part numbers for #15 gasket...
16221-ZG9-J60 SEE PART DETAILS - PRI; GASKET, CARBURETOR $0.98
16221-ZG9-T00 SEE PART DETAILS - PRI; GASKET, CARBURETOR $0.98
16221-ZH8-801 SEE PART DETAILS - PRI; GASKET, CARBURETOR $0.98

Not sure which one I need?