Honda Harmony Hrb215K3 SDX. Engine completely covered in oil.

tds19

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda Harmony Hrb215K3 SDX. Engine completely covered in oil.
I have been repairing mowers and possess considerable knowledge of how engines work. However, I purchased a Honda that I was excited about before thoroughly checking it out. When I removed the fuel tank to inspect the engine I was surprised to find the it completely covered in oil. I began by removing the existing oil and found that it was overfilled. This mower takes approximately .65 quart or a little more than a pint of oil. Next I embarked upon degreasing the engine, both top and bottom covered. The air filter was not that dirty and the spark plug and carb were also relatively clean. Doesn't seem like it would be a small leak. I see no apparent cracks on the engine and the head gasket is only slightly worn. The man I bought it from said it turned over, yet I always replace fuel lines and rebuild the carb before trying. I know that I need to try to start it and look for leakage as well as perform a compression test....but just curious if anyone has any ideas or have seen this before. Why could the engine be so dirty?