Honda GX25

Andysp

Threads
Hi I wonder if anyone can help with this small 4 stroke engine.It starts with two or three pulls but only runs for 2 minutes and stops.I cleaned the tank and fuel filter no change.Dismantled the carb and cleaned it no change then bought a repair kit for carb but the problem is still the same,any ideas what may be wrong?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hard to do with those tiny engines but get an inline spark tester , the ones with red neon tubes are the easiest to use.
And a can of starting fluid.
Start the engine and watch the flashes. flashes stop before engine = electrical problem.
If spark looks good start the engine without the air filter on and as it is dieing, give it a SHORT burst of starting fluid.
If you can keep it running by giving it little SHORT shots of starter fluid then you have a fuel supply problem.

let us know how you went.

Andysp

Threads
Hard to do with those tiny engines but get an inline spark tester , the ones with red neon tubes are the easiest to use.
And a can of starting fluid.
Start the engine and watch the flashes. flashes stop before engine = electrical problem.
If spark looks good start the engine without the air filter on and as it is dieing, give it a SHORT burst of starting fluid.
If you can keep it running by giving it little SHORT shots of starter fluid then you have a fuel supply problem.

let us know how you went.
Bert thank you very much for your help.I don't like using starting fluid but when I gave the engine a gentle spray it gave a small bang and stopped when I pulled the cord again of she went like the clappers I have used her for most of the day with no problems.I have been trying to get this going for the last three weeks so once againg thank you very much.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert thank you very much for your help.I don't like using starting fluid but when I gave the engine a gentle spray it gave a small bang and stopped when I pulled the cord again of she went like the clappers I have used her for most of the day with no problems.I have been trying to get this going for the last three weeks so once againg thank you very much.

Andy if you want more info on this engine , continue the thread please do not send me PM for technical help it defeats the entire purpose of having an open forum.
IF it takes a long while to warm up then runs OK my first suspect would be old stale fuel.
Modern fuel is not petrol & it goes off very quickly.
I recommend all my customers mix no more than 1 liter at a time and when finished with the engine for a long while tip the fuel out then start & run the engine dry.
Modern fuel will evaporate to a sticky gooey mess that blocks up tiny fuel passageways.

Andysp

Threads
Sorry about that I understand now.
As I said I used the machine for most of yesterday it is on a Mantis Merry tiller.I started it today with a couple of pulls but it had to warm up for at least 5 mins before it would accelerate fully,then it ran perfectly for and hour.When left to cool down it did the same.Any ideas what the problem might be?The engine is a 4 stroke and the fuel is fresh about 5 days old now,since I redid the carb..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cube Carbs are a right royal PIA to refurb.I have to do some of them 3 or 4 times to get it right.

Before I could sart to give advice I would need to know which carb it has.
Some of the earlier ones had adjustments for high & low jetting + idle speed while the later ones don't.
Then being in Europe ,yours might be different again.
Taking a long while to warm up is generally a Low speed jet too rich

But now we mention the magic words and see if Robert @ Honda can chime in with more specific details.