Honda GCV160 runs great for about 30 seconds, then dies abruptly

3Dcre8r

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda GCV160 runs great for about 30 seconds, then dies abruptly
First advice was bad float/setting, so tried cleaning the carb, same thing.

Then I found where someone said clogged gas cap, cleaned that out, and also tried just running with the cap loose, same result.

So I ordered a new carb and air filter for it, installed today, same result.

Thought maybe clogged fuel line. Seemed to be trickling plenty, but popped off the line to the tank, found a tiny inline filter, tried removing that, put it all back together, still same result.

Any other suggestions?

My rebuild kit did also come with a spark plug, which I'll likely try, but I don't see how the sparkplug could do it, let it run great for half a minute or so then die abruptly.

Just seems like it's running out of fuel, but maybe something else that I'm missing?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start by disconnecting the kill wire from the magneto
Note that doing this you will have to pull the spark plug off or cut the fuel off to stop the engine
Problem goes away = bad kill switch or wires between kill switch & magneto
Drain the tank & check for water
If this does not work, get a red inline spark tester and hook it up to your engine
IF the element stops glowing red or flashing irratically then the engine stops you have an electrical problem
If it flashes right to the bitter end you have a fuel problem
Check the valve lash
flood around the manifold with WD 40 ( or similar ) from a trigger pump pack, not a spray can .
Have a good look at the plug
If it is carbon fouled then it could be the choke remaining open although this usually does not make an abrupt stop but a splutter stop .

3Dcre8r

Forum Newbie
Threads
Start by disconnecting the kill wire from the magneto
Note that doing this you will have to pull the spark plug off or cut the fuel off to stop the engine
Problem goes away = bad kill switch or wires between kill switch & magneto
Drain the tank & check for water
If this does not work, get a red inline spark tester and hook it up to your engine
IF the element stops glowing red or flashing irratically then the engine stops you have an electrical problem
If it flashes right to the bitter end you have a fuel problem
Check the valve lash
flood around the manifold with WD 40 ( or similar ) from a trigger pump pack, not a spray can .
Have a good look at the plug
If it is carbon fouled then it could be the choke remaining open although this usually does not make an abrupt stop but a splutter stop .

Thanks for the great ideas. I also saw another possibility being a clogged spark arrestor. I'll try that and your suggestions, thanks!

I agree, the abrupt stop seems to rule out things like choke, clogged air filter, or spark plug, it seems to me.

3Dcre8r

Forum Newbie
Threads
Interestingly, it will idle indefinitely.

It's a pressure washer, not a mower. If use it right off, it's maybe 30 seconds. If I let it idle, it will idle much longer, but then if I hit the trigger it stalls out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Arh,
Introducing new evidence after the murderer has almost been identified
You have a great future writing TV mysteries.
That is typical of a clogged muffler choking an engine .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had an old pressure washer that was getting temperamental like that. The head was loose. Retorqued the head to get it thru the season then adjusted the valves and replaced the head gasket. Also replaced the carb. Engine has a lot of wear on it but it runs like new now.