Honda GCV160 governor spring position; changing it solved surge problem

ttimtucker

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda GCV160 governor spring position; changing it solved surge problem
I have a Husqvarno 7021P mower with a Honda GCV160LA0 engine. Engine was surging, and I could see governor arm going back and forth every second or so. Mower tended to die whenever going through marginally tall grass. I did a thorough cleaning of the carb, disassembling, cleaning all jets/ports, spraying carb cleaner, poking my carb jet tool everywhere possible, ...etc. Adjusted valve lash to specs (https://cf.hondappsv.com/files/OP/O...GCV135_160_190 GSV190 Engine Adjustment I.pdf). Still surging. I then moved governor spring to the farther hole on the governor arm shaft (see photo; I moved from "original" to "new"), and it now runs fine. RPM is about 3200. Admittedly I am still using some old fuel, and I have not (yet) replaced the spark plug (and I will soon be addressing both of these shortcomings).

I'm curious if anyone has advice/feedback on what I did (right or wrong) with the governor spring, and/or what additional steps I can take, if any?

honda gcv160 governor.jpg

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
  • / Honda GCV160 governor spring position; changing it solved surge problem
I have a Husqvarno 7021P mower with a Honda GCV160LA0 engine. Engine was surging, and I could see governor arm going back and forth every second or so. Mower tended to die whenever going through marginally tall grass. I did a thorough cleaning of the carb, disassembling, cleaning all jets/ports, spraying carb cleaner, poking my carb jet tool everywhere possible, ...etc. Adjusted valve lash to specs (https://cf.hondappsv.com/files/OP/OP000011GLOBAL/2010_11_08 General GCV135_160_190 GSV190 Engine Adjustment I.pdf). Still surging. I then moved governor spring to the farther hole on the governor arm shaft (see photo; I moved from "original" to "new"), and it now runs fine. RPM is about 3200. Admittedly I am still using some old fuel, and I have not (yet) replaced the spark plug (and I will soon be addressing both of these shortcomings).

I'm curious if anyone has advice/feedback on what I did (right or wrong) with the governor spring, and/or what additional steps I can take, if any?

View attachment 68569
I routinely check RPMs on push and self-propelled mowers during a service for customers. Typically the RPMs are too low. Specifically on Honda, I usually move the governor spring just like you did, to achieve higher RPM.