Honda GCV160 engine

rpearlberg

Threads
Not sure if I can post this here since it's not a lawnmower, but I have a pressure washer with this engine and I can't get it started. I changed the oil, changed the spark plug, emptied the fuel, put new fuel and still can't get it started...

Any suggestions? I don't think it's under warranty anymore, but is there somewhere to check that?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing remove the spark plug, reconnect to the wire, and then ground the plug against the engine and then crank the engine to check for spark. If you have spark, then dump a small amount of fresh fuel in the spark plug hole, reinstall the plug and see if it starts. If no spark the we will have to do some further testing. If it starts and then dies, then you will need to remove and clean the carb, or depending on cost just replace the carb, it may be cheaper.

the other thing is next time just post in one location. It makes it difficult to follow the responses since people will be trying to answer your question in all the posted threads

rpearlberg

Threads
First thing remove the spark plug, reconnect to the wire, and then ground the plug against the engine and then crank the engine to check for spark. If you have spark, then dump a small amount of fresh fuel in the spark plug hole, reinstall the plug and see if it starts. If no spark the we will have to do some further testing. If it starts and then dies, then you will need to remove and clean the carb, or depending on cost just replace the carb, it may be cheaper.

the other thing is next time just post in one location. It makes it difficult to follow the responses since people will be trying to answer your question in all the posted threads

Thanks, I'll try that! Sorry, thought I should post in both locations and maybe different people would see it...

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure if I can post this here since it's not a lawnmower, but I have a pressure washer with this engine and I can't get it started. I changed the oil, changed the spark plug, emptied the fuel, put new fuel and still can't get it started...

Any suggestions? I don't think it's under warranty anymore, but is there somewhere to check that?

If you plan to fix it yourself you will need to do some test. Fuel, spark, compression, timing and it will run. You might get a can of starting fluid and see if it will run when you spray it in the carburetor. This will tell you where to start looking. If it runs you will know that spark, compression, timing are all good and you have a fuel problem.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
If engine will not run after performing checks that reynoldston posted, with engine cold adjust valves: intake 0.006, exhaust 0.008. Check air filter & foam pre-cleaner for replacement as well as fuel filter in gas tank line at tank. I've found the best prices as well as fast shipping for Honda engine parts: Hondapartsnation.com, just click on outdoor power equipment & go from there, you will need all information from Honda engine data plate for pressure washer for correct parts as there are many GCV160 Honda engines listed.

rpearlberg

Threads
If you plan to fix it yourself you will need to do some test. Fuel, spark, compression, timing and it will run. You might get a can of starting fluid and see if it will run when you spray it in the carburetor. This will tell you where to start looking. If it runs you will know that spark, compression, timing are all good and you have a fuel problem.

Finally got around to trying this. Put some carb cleaner/choke spray in and it cranked for about 2 seconds and then turned off. Next step is cleaning the carb bowl and then I'll go from there.