Engine Honda engine - Hot start

Lukaskas

Threads
@ Robert: The weird sound has gone. It was indeed a low battery that caused the solenoid making the ticking noise. I guess the battery must have gone low because of the many restarts.
But still, the engine won't start when hot. No sparks.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
@ Robert: The weird sound has gone. It was indeed a low battery that caused the solenoid making the ticking noise. I guess the battery must have gone low because of the many restarts.
But still, the engine won't start when hot. No sparks.

Disconnecting the earth wire from the coil takes away all the other electrical components on the rider. So if its not sparking with that disconnected its got to be either coil, flywheel magnets, cap or plug.
Nothing else electrical is connected to it.
So going with what you are saying there is only one thing left to change.

Lukaskas

Threads
Just to make sure that i'm doing it correctly: when checking for spark in this case (with disconnected earth wire from the coil), I sill hold the spark plug to the metal surface of the engine? Correct?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just to make sure that i'm doing it correctly: when checking for spark in this case (with disconnected earth wire from the coil), I sill hold the spark plug to the metal surface of the engine? Correct?

Now i should have asked you this 1st!
Are you using a spark tester?
A spark tester loads the coil to its full capacity and also can load the spark plug when under compression conditions when still fitted.
This might show you something different hopefully!!! :thumbsup:

Lukaskas

Threads
Hi Robert,
No, I didn't use a spark tester. Just did it the usual way by making contact with a metal surface.
It works when the engine is cold so I guessed it should work with a hot engine as well (even when the coil in no longer earthed).

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Robert,
No, I didn't use a spark tester. Just did it the usual way by making contact with a metal surface.
It works when the engine is cold so I guessed it should work with a hot engine as well (even when the coil in no longer earthed).

If you are getting a positive spark test when cold, but the same test fails when hot, then something is getting too hot and is killing the ignition. Could be the coil, plug, cap, wire, or any other part of the interlock system (relay, wires, connectors) that can disable the ignition when a certain safety/logic circuit is not "ready" to let the ignition operate. I don't have access to service data for the European model, but the above should apply to any riding equipment. Hope this helps.

Lukaskas

Threads
Robert,
As explained above, even without any further connection to the electrical circuit by disconnect the wire from the coil, there is no spark. This should rule out any problem with the 'interlock' system.
This 'test situation' only involves the flywheel, the (disconnedted) coil and the spark plug.

Sixer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Heat raises resistance in wires and connections-especially corroded connections. Check and clean spotless any and all. Since no spark, start by checking for voltage at coil, a safety pin probe into the wire should suffice, tape hole when done. None there, keep going backwards-you'll find it. Heat is the key here.

Lukaskas

Threads
Hi All,
The problem is solved! The issue was the flywheel being a bit rusty. A little sandpaper made the trick.
As simple as that. I am so happy.
Many thanks to all.

Sitter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,
The problem is solved! The issue was the flywheel being a bit rusty. A little sandpaper made the trick.
As simple as that. I am so happy.
Many thanks to all.

Hi Lukaskas
I've recently purchased a second hand Honda 1211( my first tractor mower)
I have exactly this problem and have been through an similar diagnosis as yourself.
Could you post a discription or pic of your fix?
Im afraid in not the most mechanically minded even athe steps to get at the flywheel to inspec would be cool.?
Thanks in advance
Sitter