Honda backfire

ghost1

Threads
Greetings all,;

Honda GX110 3.5 hp backfiring and blowing fire from carb. Had head off to check piston wall and wondering if did not get valve lash correctly set or should I be looking at flywheel key?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Greetings all,;

Honda GX110 3.5 hp backfiring and blowing fire from carb. Had head off to check piston wall and wondering if did not get valve lash correctly set or should I be looking at flywheel key?

Did you do anything besides just remove and install the cylinder head? Did you remove any other parts or make any changes?

Valve clearance specs are:
Intake: 0.15mm +/-0.02mm (0.006 +/-0.001 inch)
Exhaust: 0.20mm +/- 0.02mm (0.008 +/- 0.001 inch)

ghost1

Threads
No changes... I did pull flywheel and key is good.. Rechecked valve lash and they are set as mentioned in your msg. Pulled plug and placed small amount of gasoline in cylinder which caused pop and flame to come out of carb.....

Just got done pulling head again and removed both valves. They were a mess so cleaned and lapped.

Last edited:

ghost1

Threads
Cleaned and lapped valves. Backfiring quit but engine will not start. Getting spark to plug, compression test showing about 60 psi., and tried dumping gas into cylinder head.. Anything else that might be checked ???