Home Depot Hondas - Question about drive systems and general reliability

easman61

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Home Depot Hondas - Question about drive systems and general reliability
Can't decide between the hrr216vka ($399) or the HRX217hxa ($599). They each have different drive systems. I'm sensitive to these because that was what always broke on my old lawn boy. Can these be pulled backwards when the drive isn't engaged?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on these two mowers.

dwblue00

Threads
Can't decide between the hrr216vka ($399) or the HRX217hxa ($599). They each have different drive systems. I'm sensitive to these because that was what always broke on my old lawn boy. Can these be pulled backwards when the drive isn't engaged?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on these two mowers.

I just bought a Honda HRR216VXA and absolutley love it! The link thats posted above doesn't say anything about what your asking. I went and checked in my owners manual about your concern, in my owners manual it sates nothing about your concern as well. I was looking at the nexite deck model as well and the employees advised me against it, that it was prone to cracking as well as some carb problems. The carb problems were on the eariler models. So I opted for the HRR216VXA. This model actually has throttle control and blade engage and disengagement, and self-propell. I also like Lawn boys but Toro corp. Who now makes Lawnboy has cheapened out on them. Look at Toro's 20" mower, it looks like a Lawnboy but red. Again to address your concern I can't see why you can't pull them backwards. (As long as the drive isn't engaged.)

dwblue00

Threads
The Models HRC, HRX use the Hydrostatic self-propelled. Except the HRX 217VKA that model uses the same Smart Drive setup. The HRS models I don't know what the drive type it uses.

dwblue00

Threads
I looked further into my honda. The self-propel on mine is belt driven. I assume thats how it is on most self-propelled mowers. Hope any of this helps.

Bacon8r

Threads
Hi
I own the HRR for 11 years and love it. The smart drive is good but they have improved it on the newer ones. I have a friend who has the HRX with hydrostatic and he loves it to. The HRX has the awesome versamow system and it's deck is nice despite being made of plastic stuff. I don know but I would get the HRX with a clutch (BBC) and it would dominate. The HRR has a GCV 160 versus the GRX with a GCV 180.

shrek

Threads
I have two hrc 216 honda mowers. one is older and the other is the newer micro cut twin blade. both have hydrostatic transmishions for the driving wheels. never had a problem in 10 plus years. I recomend buying a honda mower, any grade from a dealer.....the after sales support is great and the sales people know there stuff.

lakeviewpe

Threads
The hrr216 (vka) for $399 is a decent mower. The handle height is set so you can not raise or lower it except if you raise or lower the wheels. Very bad feature if you are over about 5'10" tall. The hrx217 (hxa) is actually $699 and does have a dominant transmission. THe handle will raise and lower and fold easily. The engine is a 190cc, which makes it less likely to bog down in thicker grass.

There is not a mower out there that you should keep the transmission engaged when pulling backwards. That is how people most often wear out their drive parts (wheels, gears, etc). They do not fully disengage he transmission before pulling backwards.

benski

Threads
The hrr216 (vka) for $399 is a decent mower. The handle height is set so you can not raise or lower it except if you raise or lower the wheels. Very bad feature if you are over about 5'10" tall. The hrx217 (hxa) is actually $699 and does have a dominant transmission. THe handle will raise and lower and fold easily. The engine is a 190cc, which makes it less likely to bog down in thicker grass.

There is not a mower out there that you should keep the transmission engaged when pulling backwards. That is how people most often wear out their drive parts (wheels, gears, etc). They do not fully disengage he transmission before pulling backwards.

What is a "dominant transmission"?

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
What is a "dominant transmission"?

Maybe it tells you how fast to walk behind instead of you telling the mower how fast to go. My other thoughts are not suitable for a public forum.:wink: