HM100 woes

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Do you think it's something that we could hear if you posted a video?
Took one but you can't hear it in the video.

I did find an air leak, around the throttle shaft. Spray it with WD and it bogs every time.
Hammer, No miss under load.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'm sure it's hard to tell through a picture, how's my float level look?
In person it has a slight, slight, downward angle.
20230802_175434.jpg

Forest#2

Threads
I've seen quite a few of them plastic floats look like that, non adjustable and the carb still operate great. At first I tried installing another jet, then another float and still same. It's usually on them single cylinder Nikki's that I see such.
I eventually just accepted that it's a normal thing and not causing the the lean condition the Nikki's are know for where they run better with a slight choke.

Summary: I do not think that is float not being level is what is causing your Tecumseh issue.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Well, now im back to thinking "maybe i need to clean the carb a little better" I now have the original rebuilt carb on it, since i determined the one i had on the shelf didn't change anything, or was bad, even though i;ve used it before and did fine...... fired it up, it's doing the usual miss....
the choke on this carb has the spring on the back side of the lever that catches the notches on top of the shaft, so I SLOWLY started to close the choke, pulling it where it couldn't catch a notch, and i found a sweet spot almost to half choke, where it smoothed out, i held it there by hand for 5 minutes, never a miss or deviation in RPMs. which is weird because the plug shows a good burn (Not any white to it). If i close the choke much past this point, it dies, and if open it anymore, it starts missing again. I got the WD40 spray out and sprayed down the manifold and carb and no apparent leaks.
I'm going to pull the main nozzle out, and clean it better, but here's a question., I notice this nozzle has to O rings on it, do you think it's possible for these o rings to be bad, and cause my apparent lean issue, even though it doesn't surge or anything, it's got a sweet running spot with the choke at very certain point.....?

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've seen quite a few of them plastic floats look like that, non adjustable and the carb still operate great. At first I tried installing another jet, then another float and still same. It's usually on them single cylinder Nikki's that I see such.
I eventually just accepted that it's a normal thing and not causing the the lean condition the Nikki's are know for where they run better with a slight choke.

Summary: I do not think that is float not being level is what is causing your Tecumseh issue.
this particular one is adjustable as the part where the needle clips on is metal.