hitachi products?

bjl8691

Threads
Has anybody ever used hitachi and tanaka trimmers and blowers im curious to know how good they are

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a electric Hitachi hand held wood plainer. Haven't used it very much but it seems like a well built tool don't know about there lawn tools.

metz12

Threads
i dont know about their hand tools either. being a carpenter, i have used alot of tools. their cordless drills suck. their corded drills are great though. their sliding compound miter box is alright, and just their chop boxes are good. i have no idea about their lawn equipment though. and i have used their planers before. not a bad tool, i just dont prefer hand planers. the only hand planers i use is the block planes for chamfers and stuff. prefer a surface planer.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
i dont know about their hand tools either. being a carpenter, i have used alot of tools. their cordless drills suck. their corded drills are great though. their sliding compound miter box is alright, and just their chop boxes are good. i have no idea about their lawn equipment though. and i have used their planers before. not a bad tool, i just dont prefer hand planers. the only hand planers i use is the block planes for chamfers and stuff. prefer a surface planer.

I said I don't use it very much. I guess its one of them tools I bought which I though was a good idea at the time but my electric planer sits in the cabinet not used very often. The only time I use it is when I have a very long board and its nice to clean up the edge when the board too long for my joiner or a hand plain and don't want to saw it.

metz12

Threads
I said I don't use it very much. I guess its one of them tools I bought which I though was a good idea at the time but my electric planer sits in the cabinet not used very often. The only time I use it is when I have a very long board and its nice to clean up the edge when the board too long for my joiner or a hand plain and don't want to saw it.

well yes an electric planer would be good in that case. what kind of joiner do you have? i hate joining an edge, if you dont put the grain the right way it chips, and there is always the possibility of your hand slipping into those knifes. its one of the sketchy tools in the shop :laughing:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
well yes an electric planer would be good in that case. what kind of joiner do you have? i hate joining an edge, if you dont put the grain the right way it chips, and there is always the possibility of your hand slipping into those knifes. its one of the sketchy tools in the shop :laughing:

I know what you mean about a joiner because I know some people that that has happen to. As for my shop I always try to put safety first because to me its much faster using safety before siting in a emergency for haft a day or more and a lot less pain. As for my jointer I have a 4in. Jet. I don't need anything bigger because I only use it for edges so I can glue up boards. If you keep good sharp blades on your jointer you will get less chipping and also the type of wood you are working with makes a different, I also use my table saw for jointing boards.

metz12

Threads
I know what you mean about a joiner because I know some people that that has happen to. As for my shop I always try to put safety first because to me its much faster using safety before siting in a emergency for haft a day or more and a lot less pain. As for my jointer I have a 4in. Jet. I don't need anything bigger because I only use it for edges so I can glue up boards. If you keep good sharp blades on your jointer you will get less chipping and also the type of wood you are working with makes a different, I also use my table saw for jointing boards.

well you have to get those fine rip blades when you want to do that. if i'm at work or school they usually require me to join a sawn edge (at school we have 4joiner planers and at work we have 2 joiner planers). i dont like to when its either going to get shaped, rabbited, tongue and grooved, routed, or sanded. but if im gluing up say a cutting board with biscuits and a plate joiner i defiantly join an edge. time is money as you know! but the quality of work is more important.

possum

Threads
Only two brands for the commercial use around here. Stihl, and Tanaka. Tanaka dealer is 7 miles away.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
well you have to get those fine rip blades when you want to do that. if i'm at work or school they usually require me to join a sawn edge (at school we have 4joiner planers and at work we have 2 joiner planers). i dont like to when its either going to get shaped, rabbited, tongue and grooved, routed, or sanded. but if im gluing up say a cutting board with biscuits and a plate joiner i defiantly join an edge. time is money as you know! but the quality of work is more important.

Wood working is a hobby for me and to spending hours to make one cut means nothing to me. If I make something and don't like how it turned out I just start over again. This is the better part of being retired.

metz12

Threads
Wood working is a hobby for me and to spending hours to make one cut means nothing to me. If I make something and don't like how it turned out I just start over again. This is the better part of being retired.

well woodworking and cabinetmaking is what i hope to do as a career someday. i have an internship that i do cabinetmaking in. and at school i'm learning more of the framing and house building side. one day i hope to have a home cabinetmaking shop.