Hit a root. One blade is free spinning on my D130

jmphotog1

Forum Newbie
Threads
While mowing, I hit a root which bent the blade and it is now free spinning. Have not looked at it at all, but was wondering if anyone knows what needs to be replaced.

Zeroturner

Threads
I don't have an answer to your question, but I too have tree roots that have grown big enough to scalp.

So, knowing they're only going to get bigger, I removed enough of the root tops to no longer be a problem.

I took a pick ax and used the hoe part of it as a planer of sorts to slice off the worst of the top of the roots. Doing it this way was a lot easier than to use a saw, chisel and hammer. That approach works of course, but it's brutal on my back and knees.

The roots I planed with the pickax appear to be healing nicely and I don't to worry about damage to my blades or whatever else could be damaged.

jmphotog1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't have an answer to your question, but I too have tree roots that have grown big enough to scalp.

So, knowing they're only going to get bigger, I removed enough of the root tops to no longer be a problem.

I took a pick ax and used the hoe part of it as a planer of sorts to slice off the worst of the top of the roots. Doing it this way was a lot easier than to use a saw, chisel and hammer. That approach works of course, but it's brutal on my back and knees.

The roots I planed with the pickax appear to be healing nicely and I don't to worry about damage to my blades or whatever else could be damaged.

Thanks for this info, but unfortunately it's a little too late for my problem. I was always able to mow right over the root in question under normal circumstances. However. I had the bagger on with a pretty good load of clippings in it when I went over the root. Wasn't thinking that the extra weight caused the deck to be a little lower then normal and whacked it.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The blade has came loose. Or the nut on the pulley is loose.
Just replace the blade with a new one.

Zeroturner

Threads
jmphotog1,

Oh, I know the horse is already out of the barn - just thinking about the future and for others who may have root problems and have yet to do anything about them.

In fact, this thread has me motivated to do a bit more of root top shaving myself.

Even if the root tops don't present a clear and present danger, (a little Tom Clancy lingo...) they make for a very rough ride even going over them slow as a glacier.

jmphotog1

Forum Newbie
Threads
The blade has came loose. Or the nut on the pulley is loose.
Just replace the blade with a new one.

Okay, I'm going to take a look at it this afternoon. Hopefully it's one of these issues and an easy fix. Thanks! What I do know for sure is that I need a new blade.

Nwatson99

Threads
If you blade is free spinning and still attached to everything then you might have sheared your spindle, with a bent blade everything should be the same other than a bent blade and sever vibration while the deck is running, but the free spinning is not right.

jmphotog1

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you blade is free spinning and still attached to everything then you might have sheared your spindle, with a bent blade everything should be the same other than a bent blade and sever vibration while the deck is running, but the free spinning is not right.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. The spindle is sheared. Taking a look at it shortly. If it is a spindle, it should be easy to replace.

Nwatson99

Threads
Yes, that's what I was thinking. The spindle is sheared. Taking a look at it shortly. If it is a spindle, it should be easy to replace.

Yea they are not bad to replace, but let us know what you find out.

jmphotog1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yea they are not bad to replace, but let us know what you find out.

WEll. I took the deck to the JD dealer and the spindle is bent and so is the housing. I'm letting them take care of it.