High effort to pull start my 2-stroke blowers

MowerMike

Threads
Recently my two 2-stroke blowers (Echo PB-250LN and Hitachi RB24EAP) have been requiring very high effort to pull the starter cords. They feel like super high compression large 4-strokes where I can clearly feel every compression stroke as I pull the cord. Once started, they both run fine, revving quickly and running cleanly at full throttle. I'm using high octane ethanol free Trufuel synthetic premix gas, so I can't imagine that I've developed any carbon buildup or carb clogging. For the first few months of use both blowers required very little effort to start, so I'm at a loss as to what has caused them to become so hard to pull now. Today, I could barely muster the strength to start the Echo, and initially it almost felt like it had seized.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never been a fan of premixed fuel/oil products, just my opinion. Two cycle oil and gasoline do not stay mixed although the color of the mix may suggest otherwise.:thumbdown:
I would stop using the premixed stuff. Remove the spark plugs and look into the cylinders and pull the motors thru without any compression. :confused2: The increase in drag while pull starting is not a good sign!!!:frown:
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin:

MowerMike

Threads
I've never been a fan of premixed fuel/oil products, just my opinion. Two cycle oil and gasoline do not stay mixed although the color of the mix may suggest otherwise.:thumbdown:
I would stop using the premixed stuff. Remove the spark plugs and look into the cylinders and pull the motors thru without any compression. :confused2: The increase in drag while pull starting is not a good sign!!!:frown:
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin:

According to the manufacturer (TruFuel), they don't use regular petroleum based gasoline and the fuel does not break down over time. So, fuel / oil separation should not be a problem.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never heard of TruFuel, but with both of your two stroke engines doing the same thing with this fuel, I think that the message they are giving you is that it may be too late with that much drag probably on the cylinder walls!!! I would stop using TruFuel!!!
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
I've never heard of TruFuel, but with both with both of your two stroke engines doing the same thing with this fuel, I think that the message they are giving you is that it may be too late with that much drag probably on the cylinder walls!!! I would stop using TruFuel!!!
Mad Mackie in CT

Have you ever heard of Stihl MotoMix ? It is basically the same product as TruFuel (same base synthetic fuel with different synthetic oil) that is sold through Stihl dealers and endorsed for use in all Stihl 2-stroke engines. In fact, Stihl thinks so highly of Motomix, that they will double the factory warranty on their Stihl 2-stroke tools if you use it. Do you think Stihl would sell it if it was damaging their engines ?

CorpMain.png

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have used Poulan synthetic oil for 2 stroke mix on my trimmers and chainsaw with great luck. The chainsaw typically sits a year at a time and this year a tree came down and I needed the Husky quick. It was very difficult to turn over with the compression release. I did not take it apart , but concluded rust must have formed on the cylinder even stored inside as I had not shot any storage oil into the cylinder. Your situation sounds different. Be careful to follow the mix ratio. My chainsaw wants 50:1, while the trimmer wants 35:1. Two strokes will seize if not properly lubricated.

MowerMike

Threads
I have used Poulan synthetic oil for 2 stroke mix on my trimmers and chainsaw with great luck. The chainsaw typically sits a year at a time and this year a tree came down and I needed the Husky quick. It was very difficult to turn over with the compression release. I did not take it apart , but concluded rust must have formed on the cylinder even stored inside as I had not shot any storage oil into the cylinder. Your situation sounds different. Be careful to follow the mix ratio. My chainsaw wants 50:1, while the trimmer wants 35:1. Two strokes will seize if not properly lubricated.

Thanks for the info. Both blowers specify a 50:1 gas/oil ratio and the TruFuel premix I'm using is precisely 50:1. I'm also using TruFuel 50:1 in an Echo PE-225 edger and SRM-225 trimmer, and so far I've not had any problems. The edger and trimmer are smaller displacement engines and have i30 starters that reduce starting effort by 30%. All my gas tools are stored in a dry garage and the blowers have been used regularly since early this year. I don't want to use ethanol gas in my 2-strokes and there is no place nearby where I live to buy ethanol-free gas.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the info. Both blowers specify a 50:1 gas/oil ratio and the TruFuel premix I'm using is precisely 50:1. I'm also using TruFuel 50:1 in an Echo PE-225 edger and SRM-225 trimmer, and so far I've not had any problems. The edger and trimmer are smaller displacement engines and have i30 starters that reduce starting effort by 30%. All my gas tools are stored in a dry garage and the blowers have been used regularly since early this year. I don't want to use ethanol gas in my 2-strokes and there is no place nearby where I live to buy ethanol-free gas.

Run some seafoam through the machine through the plug hole follow the directions

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I haven't noticed that fuel at either of my Stihl dealers, but I wasn't looking for it. One dealer has ethanol free 94 octane fuel in 1 and 5 gallon containers and the same fuel with a premix at 50-1. A 5 gallon can of premix is $80 !!!!!! WOW!!!!
I have 3 Husqvarna chainsaws, 1 Stihl 2 stroke trimmer, 1 Stihl 4 stroke trimmer, 1 Stihl 2 stroke hedge trimmer, 1 Stihl 4 stroke BR 600 back pack blower. I use 89 or 91 gas with 10% ethanol and swap back and forth between Stihl and Husqvarna premium 2 stroke oil. I also have 4 machines with Briggs engines, a machine with a Kawasaki and another with a Honda and all get 87 with Star Tron. I no longer use StaBil as it doesn't work with ethanol crap fuel!!!
BUT, if your 2 stroke machines are getting increasingly more difficult to turn over, then something is wrong and I think that it is the fuel/mix that you are using!!!!!!
The next time I'm at either of my local Stihl dealers I'll check out the Stihl fuel mix.
I also use SeaFoam and I think that it is a great product when used in the correct application, which has already been suggested to you.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

Rocketman

Threads
Why are you using high octane fuel? I am fairly sure that all you really need is 87 octane regular. I am not sure this is why you are having problems starting the blowers, but I never use high octaqne fuel in any of my equipment because in my opinion it is not needed in anything but high compression performance engines. You actually get a faster burn during combustion with 87 octane!
Stabil does make a fuel stabilizer for ethanol gas and has worked well for me, so I would try that with 87 octane and see what happens!