Hi, new here, really stuck and need soem help please

oswaldJo1959

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. Just signed up to the forum as looks like there is a LOT of knowledge here so hoping someone can help me out. I have just aquired a second hand petrol lawnmower which is quite old now, but I cannot get it started. The mower is a Mountfield Emblem which has the Tecumseh BVS 143 engine.
I have checked the plug and is in good condition, am getting a good spark from it. With the plug removed the blade rotates perfectly, doesn't appear bent or warped. I have put fresh petrol in it and the petrol hose from the tank to the carb isn't leaking or blocked.
When you try to pull the starter cord, it kicks back very violently and is extremely difficult to pull - nearly broke a couple of fingers trying for the first time!! After reading up on this the first suggestion seems to be the timing is out - too far advanced possibly, so I managed to get the flywheel off and check, but the key looks perfect and was sitting perfectly in the shaft recess, so it's not a key shearing problem, therefore I assume the ignition timing must be ok as the flywheel can only fit one way so that the magnets line up with the sensor etc.

I am a bit stuck what to try next and could really use some advice. The mower was stored away for a couple years without use if that could suggest anything?

Thanks for any help
Scott

Scott, if you take out the spark plug and pull over the engine do you hear any thumping/ mechanical interference? You may have had a sudden stoppage on the crank and stretched a the rod or damaged bearings. Scoping the cylinder through the plug port, or pulling the head off may show any damage. This will definitely give you kick back issues when attempting to start the motor....J.O.

hntrsr

Threads
Have you checked the Breaker-points and Condenser?