Herb Garden

bret

Threads
My wife wants to put in a herb garden, we are both very avid cooks and love both our herbs and spices in our foods, are there any you would not recommend?

Madi

Threads
It depends on what type of garden you want to do. Do you want like a kitchen garden, strictly culinary, are you into herbal healing at all, do you want that option? I am wavering on a similar question except mine will all be in containers because I have limited space.

outdoors Joe

Threads
Some herbs can be invasive. Purple Basil and the Mint family are two that I can think of. Some are annuals and others are perennials, which might make a difference in what you plant. I can't think of any that I absolutely would not recommend, though.

Bessy

Threads
I want to put something in as well, but I want some things I can use both medicinally and in the kitchen. They need some good sues or it is not worth my time to plant them.

bret

Threads
We are big Basil lovers as well as sage and cilantro. We also like oregano, parsley and marjoram. I think we may start with this and add in some chives and that should be a good start, don't you think?

Rose

Threads
I too love basil. The choice of herbs to plant would also depend on your garden's location. I find that some herbs only grow well in full or almost full sun. I don't have that option at the moment, so I keep to the simple herbs, basil, chives, parsley and oregano. I used to grow mint, but that went every where!!! It spreads like crazy. I do grow catnip too for my boys, it spreads too, but not as badly. So I grow it in pots. Not surprisingly we have a good many visits from the neighborhood cats. :biggrin:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
mint is fun for your nose... when you mow into it... :smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
I tried out some new to me this yr. like choclate basil,lemon balm,lemon thyme and cinnamom basil. russ

Harriet

Threads
You asked about what NOT to plant----Chamomile and Dill. These love to re-seed in nooks in pavement and stone as well as along crushed stone paths. Grow them in containers to avoid this problem.