HELP

MYTMERLIN

Threads
I AM 70 YEARS OLD AND DISABLED
I HAVE A CUB HDS 3185
WHEN THE MOWER STARTS AND YOU ENGAGE THE BLADES IT TAKES ABOUT 10 OR 15 SECONDS FOR THEM TO START, THEY DON'T TURN FAST ENOUGH TO CUT AND THE ENGINE CUTS OUT ?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I AM 70 YEARS OLD AND DISABLED
I HAVE A CUB HDS 3185
WHEN THE MOWER STARTS AND YOU ENGAGE THE BLADES IT TAKES ABOUT 10 OR 15 SECONDS FOR THEM TO START, THEY DON'T TURN FAST ENOUGH TO CUT AND THE ENGINE CUTS OUT ?

The engine could be firing on one cylinder
The mower deck could have a bad bearing in a spindle or idler bearing...thus placing too much load on engine when you engage blades.

MYTMERLIN

Threads
I CAN'T FIND THE PTO , ALL I SEE IS A LARGE GEAR WITH TWO BELTS, THEY SEEM TO BE LOOSE, COULD THAT BE THE PROBLEM? IF SO HOW DO I TIGHTEN THEM ?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
NO, THERE IS A SWITCH BY THE STEERING WHEEL

OK, you have a PTO switch that energizes a clutch/pulley on the bottom of the engine.

Don't worry about that now.

Again...It seems you have a bad pulley or idler on your deck...it will not spin well and it is putting a lot of load on your engine.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I CAN'T FIND THE PTO , ALL I SEE IS A LARGE GEAR WITH TWO BELTS, THEY SEEM TO BE LOOSE, COULD THAT BE THE PROBLEM? IF SO HOW DO I TIGHTEN THEM ?

By gear...I guess you mean pulley.

I am not getting enough information from what you wrote to understand.

Of course...belts that are lose will not be turned or turn pulleys etc.

Some times belts are loose before something is engaged...don't know if that is the case with yours...I don't think so.

Are both belts loose? that would be even more strange.

You may have broken or lost a tension spring on the deck that would explain one being loose.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
By gear...I guess you mean pulley.

I am not getting enough information from what you wrote to understand.

Of course...belts that are lose will not be turned or turn pulleys etc.

Some times belts are loose before something is engaged...don't know if that is the case with yours...I don't think so.

Are both belts loose? that would be even more strange.

You may have broken or lost a tension spring on the deck that would explain one being loose.

Yours is a garden tractor...I was looking and you have a brake rod that operates a tension spring(my opinion)

See if it is there.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/cub...a-665-100-cub-cadet-garden-tractor/front-pto/

MYTMERLIN

Threads
THAT IS MY MOWER EXACTLY , WHERE IS THAT PART THAT WILL TIGHTEN UP THE BELTS, AND YES THEY ARE BOTH LOOSE , THE ONE IN THE FRONT MORE SO THEN THE OTHER ?
AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TROUBLE !!