Help with engine swap please

Morris mowing

Threads
Hello all. I'm brand new to the forum. I have a 2017 Pro Turn 260 (992267)with the ZT740 kohler. Bought the unit with 104 hrs on it. Sitting right at 1700 hrs now. Mowing 2 weeks ago and she died. Tried starting back and had no compression. After checking the obvious places I broke the engine down to find a broke cam gear ?. Now with engine off and tore down I'm going to rebuild it, but my question is... is there anyone on here that can tell me of a higher horsepower engine that will match up fairly seamlessly? The 25 confidant just doesn't have enough juice for my 2 week yards. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Morris mowing

Threads
So the ECV749 3027 would be perfect but my unit is NOT fuel injected. Would it be possible to use my electric setup on that engine?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
600 hours a year for 2 yards, what are they Yankee Stadium ?
A bigger motor will not make the mower go 1 foot a hour faster and 27 Hp should be well & truley enough to run a 60" deck .
What exactly are you mowing and what is your set up ?
Got a horrible feeling that the Kohler has been running on one cylinder or doing something terribly wrong if you feel it is under powered.
HAd one customer who wanted a bigger engine because his mower was "underpowered"
Turns out it was the combination of deck & blades .
HE was running high lift gators in a shallow deck with a mulching plug
Changed to low lifts & problem was solved .
And this was a Great Dane 61" deck & 18 Hp Kohler Command

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So the ECV749 3027 would be perfect but my unit is NOT fuel injected. Would it be possible to use my electric setup on that engine?

Not unless you rewired the mower to accomodate the fuel injection electronics.
From What I have been led to believe anything over 30Hp has to be fuel injected to comply with pollution regulations.

Last edited:

Morris mowing

Threads
600 hours a year for 2 yards, what are they Yankee Stadium ?
A bigger motor will not make the mower go 1 foot a hour faster and 27 Hp should be well & truley enough to run a 60" deck .
What exactly are you mowing and what is your set up ?
Got a horrible feeling that the Kohler has been running on one cylinder or doing something terribly wrong if you feel it is under powered.
HAd one customer who wanted a bigger engine because his mower was "underpowered"
Turns out it was the combination of deck & blades .
HE was running high lift gators in a shallow deck with a mulching plug
Changed to low lifts & problem was solved .
And this was a Great Dane 61" deck & 18 Hp Kohler Command

I do not want more speed. That's not the issue. I mow an average of 85 to 90 yards a week. Several 14 to 15 hour days. So the hours do rack up. I live in Tennessee my 2 week yards bog the Kohler. it's a 25hp zt 740 confidant. I do run high lift scag blades. Not gators. X factor 2 deck. Gravely pro turn 260. Thank you for your reply.

Morris mowing

Threads
I do not want more speed. That's not the issue. I mow an average of 85 to 90 yards a week. Several 14 to 15 hour days. So the hours do rack up. I live in Tennessee my 2 week yards bog the Kohler. it's a 25hp zt 740 confidant. I do run high lift scag blades. Not gators. X factor 2 deck. Gravely pro turn 260. Thank you for your reply.
I think you miss read my post. 2 week yards not 2 yards lol