Help with craftsman mower

Randomstuffdavid

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have a craftsman lawn mower 18hp Kohler model #917.258694. I'm wondering do I need this bracket I'm missing for I believe the PTO Clutch to hold it in place if I'm never going to be running a mower d.ck? Will my drive still work as normal?
(picture attached)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240211_144254_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20240211_144254_Messenger.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 51

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the bracket needs to be there to prevent the clutch housing from spinning and tearing the wires out, but also prevent the housing from jamming against other parts of the mower.

Randomstuffdavid

Forum Newbie
Threads
the bracket needs to be there to prevent the clutch housing from spinning and tearing the wires out, but also prevent the housing from jamming against other parts of the mower.
Even if I don't have a mower deck on there and not using the PTO I still need it? Just making sure. I can't find the bracket anywhere it's discontinued and nobody has a broken lawnmower that has this bracket. I'm stumped on what to do I need this for tomorrow to plow my snow.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes you need it or you will destroy the electric clutch wiring at the least. It is the anti rotation bracket.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Alternative is to remove the clutch, get a piece of whatever ID pipe to slip over the crankshaft that is the same length as the clutch height and put it on the crankshaft in place of the clutch and then tighten it down using the clutch mounting bolt and washers. Without the clutch you will need something to use as a crankshaft spacer to keep the drive pulley for the transmission belt from slipping and destroying itself and the crankshaft keyway.

Forest#2

Threads
As ilengine says.
Just a few hints here and basic info about such.
I remove the electric clutch and take a piece of schedule 40 rigid metal pipe that will just slip over the crankshaft, (I save the electric PTO clutches because they are expensive and write the model/part number on the clutch assembly for later reference) The pipe has the same ID as the inside of the PTO pulley assembly. Cut the pipe to length the same depth as the PTO electric pulley and use large washers on bottom of pipe if need be and bolt it up. Pay attention the the Up/down on the upper drive pulley as to proper install so drive belt aligns. Those good electric PTO clutches cost about $250 so no need in just destroying it.
Stay safe when under the elevated mower and usually requires a 5/8 socket and a impact to remove the bolt. Re-torque good at about 60-80 ft lbs because they will come loose if you limp wrist it back on.

Last edited:

Forest#2

Threads
You asked:
You Where can I find this bracket?

If you can find a part number just do a on-line search and if it's listed a NLA or discontinued, go to Flea bay and search the part number and if nothing surfaces that you want to pay for do a SAVED SEARCH WITH A PART NUMBER AND ONE WILL USUALLY EVENTUALLY SURFACE AND YOU WILL GET A EMAIL NOTICE of such. Those anti rotation rods are hardened steel not just soft steel. (and sometimes will make you drop a jaw for a new replacement's price, but are protecting a pricy part)

Take quite a bit of piddling around to use the pipe method.
If the electric PTO is not being used I've seen where a Bubba and Rube Goldberg sometimes instead of replacing a broken or missing anti rotation bracket and they only wanted to use the tractor with no deck and the PTO was not needed as you mention they (RUBE and Bubba) would disconnect the wiring plug to the electric PTO and then take steel wire and tie the 3 corners of the PTO clutch bracket to the frame so the PTO bracket would not friction rotate so as to just use only the motion drive pulley.
Redneck engineering.

Last edited:

Reverett

Threads
I have done exactly what Star Tech and Ilengine have described and works great. Needed mower to pull a chain harrow before seeding a field and the deck was not needed and caused problems. I was also able to re-install clutch and deck to continue to use it as a mower.

TobyU

Threads
I think you should be able to just to just remove the PTO and I think the pulley up top will stay in its place anyways because it's lined up with the other belt and drive pulleys and it's probably kind of rusted to the crankshaft anyways. Lol
You could also take the wires off the PTO and fold them up together and put a zip tie around them so they can spend with the PTO because it is slowly going to move probably and that's what will tear the wires out and destroy a $150 PTO.
As others have mentioned this is what happens if you don't have the locating pin or bracket for a PTO as soon as you pull on the switch with the wires attached, it energizes and spins with the crankshaft and rips the wires clean out of the PTO typically to work cannot even be fixed.

So either find a way to make you a small rod or use a threaded bolt and bend it over however you need to etc to hold the outer ring of the PTO in place or remove the wires and fold them up and keep them attached to the PTO safely or take the whole PTO off otherwise it's going to get damaged.