help with a craftsman leaf blower

BIGxMONEY

Threads
I am having the same problem I checked out everything on the engine, replaced gas line even. When I remove the spark plug and spray starter fluid into it and try to start it it will kind of try. But when it does that it sounds like its not getting a good spark. Maybe timing is off or just a bad plug? Ive tried everything the muffler isnt blocked.

DocP

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hate to be jumping in on this so late, but suspect a carbon problem, based on the picture of the piston top, among other things. Your exhaust port looked good, but have you checked the muffler, and especially the spark arrestor screen? If the screen is heavily covered or blocked with carbon a 2 cycle engine will be very difficult or impossible to start, and also generally will have poor power and lowered RPMs if it does start. Before I put any money into it I would check to see if it will run without the muffler, though with it apart now it may be a bit late for that. Before trying to start it check the carb rough adjustments. If it is a Walbro WA or WT carb the rough set is at 1.25 turns open, both high and low speed needles which should get it started if all else is ok.

Hope this may help.

DocP

Forum Newbie
Threads
A little more information. If you decide to put in a new carb kit, make sure you carefull check the inlet screen inside the carburetor. Also, I would recommend you get a rebuild rather than a gasket and diaphragm kit. It is possible your metering needle is bad, and the gasket and diaphragm kit does not iinclude a new needle. Be VERY careful removing the metering fork holding the needle so you do not lose the spring under the fork. It is very elusive!! If the viton tip of the needle is red, it is bad and needs to be replaced, and if not it will not hurt anything to replace it. Also, while the covers are off the carburetor make sure all passages are open by spraying carb cleaner or a lube like WD40 through them with a spray straw. Include the needle passage. Be sure the gaskets an diaphragms are replaced correctly in relation to the carb body or they will not work properly.

Hope this was helpful.