Help Troubleshooting Fwd/Rev Power Issue with Stiga Park Pro

electricmba

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Help Troubleshooting Fwd/Rev Power Issue with Stiga Park Pro
Hello - I recently bought a Stiga Park Pro from a friend - I recognize this brand of Tractor is rare in North America but it is a great little machine and the front deck is very useful on my property.

I was hoping someone could give me some troubleshooting tips before I take this to a very costly repair place - the mower starts/runs fine, cuts perfectly, but has a strange "lack of power" when attempting to move forward/reverse. There is a single pedal that rocks forward to accelerate (forward) and rocks backwards to reverse. When I'm on flat groud/pavement, reverse and forward work ok (although not as fast as it should be imo) - but as soon as I attempt to get the mower to go up even a small incline, it slows down / stops. I can still get the mower to move up the decline (either in forward or reverse) but I need to repeatedly feather the pedal in and out of gear and almost get it to a "sweet spot" as it starts to engage, which allows it to crawl up the incline in question.

Outside of this brand/model of mower - what sort of issue am I dealing with here? Clutch (if there is one)? Belt? etc?

I don't have a manual and can't seem to find a serial number or year on it - if I was guessing I'd say 2004 or earlier - and it has a Briggs & Stratton engine in it. It looks like this one pictured here:

park16hst_pro.jpg

If anyone has any troubleshooting suggestions I'm relatively handy, and would appreciate it.

Thanks.

electricmba

Forum Newbie
Threads
-= bump =-

As some additional information I looked under the pedal and it's s simple cable system that pulls/releases on the pedal end. Really tough to see the business end closer to the motor. Any ideas before I bite the bullet and take it in?

mc_harley

Threads
Hi,
I think you have to fill up the oil from the hydrostatic gearbox (bottle on the side of the engine) . If the oil is not filled up to max. or maybe not even filled to min. it won't run or very bad. You can fill it up with normal oil SAE10W40.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That hydro requires 20w50 not 10w40.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok more trouble shooting. Belt that runs the hydro's could need replacing. Being both directions are affected I would think it is oil level or belt.

mc_harley

Threads
Hi,
I just checked the manual to be sure what I said. We are both right, from the factory the hydro is filled with SAE 10W40 but to refill you can use SAE 10W40 and SAE 20W50
If the belt is bad, change it!

electricmba

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I just checked the manual to be sure what I said. We are both right, from the factory the hydro is filled with SAE 10W40 but to refill you can use SAE 10W40 and SAE 20W50
If the belt is bad, change it!

Hi Guys - sorry, was away the last few days. I'll check the oil level straight away as my first step to see if that helps.

Regarding changing the belt - I'm pretty handy and not afraid to take on some mechanical work - but this mower is a fish out of water on this side of the ocean and I'm not even sure where I'd get the supplies here. Are there some online instructions I can look to in order to figure out what belt I need to check/change? Just looking for a place to start to even ensure I'm looking at the right thing.

Thanks.

mc_harley

Threads
Hello,
Here you can find the parts and numbers for Stiga. Maybe you can also order parts.

Stiga Ersatzteile online kaufen - AUFSITZMAHER

You can start from Home, find the year of your mower and start searching. You need to know some German words like Aufsitzm濾er = Ride on Lawnmower and keilriemen = Belt. When you need more help let me know.

electricmba

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks mc_harley,

So I went to check the transmission oil and found it appears very low. I'm assuming that anyway based on how I'm interpreting the dipstick markers:

TOP/KNOB
_

X
X
_ <---oil level is just below this bottom hash that I'm assuming means minimum

BOTTOM/STICK

My local store didn't have any 10W40 or 20W50 so I'll have to venture across town tomorrow to get some and fill it up. I'll report back what happens - thanks again so much for the help.

mc_harley

Threads
This is very minimum. You will see the difference when you fill it up. This oil is normal motoroil.