help start my riding mower

al christy

Forum Newbie
Threads
mower refuses to start even used ether , cleaned plug. It was really close but stopped.help al:confused2:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Gender and species of the mower would help us diagnose the problem, complete with model number of mower and engine.

monkfarm

Threads
Probably ethanol related problems. . . Gas going bad. Do you have fresh gas in there/?

al christy

Forum Newbie
Threads
new gas and started and stalled after 4 seconds

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The first thing to do is throw that can of ether in the dumpster. For internal combustion there is a correct air fuel ratio and spraying ether in the carburetor there is no way in he!! to tell when you have it right.

If you want to start by priming, put a teaspoon of gas in the carb. throat and let the piston draw a fuel air mixture in on the intake stroke. Not perfect but way bunch closer than aerosol spray.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ether was never suppose to be used in gas engines, it was designed for cold weather starting of diesel engines only. To much chance of getting too much in and doing serious damage.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ether was never suppose to be used in gas engines, it was designed for cold weather starting of diesel engines only. To much chance of getting too much in and doing serious damage.

I guess we disagree here. In all my years of using starting fluid I have never seen any damage. I always have a can of it in my shop. All it takes is a lite pass by the air intake just to get the engine started. You don't run the engine off it.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess we disagree here. In all my years of using starting fluid I have never seen any damage. I always have a can of it in my shop. All it takes is a lite pass by the air intake just to get the engine started. You don't run the engine off it.
There is where the problem lies. What is a light pass? It could mean this amount to you and that amount to someone else.

And this scenario is often the case. It fires and wants to run but just doesn't quite do it so just a little more will surely make this ole girl go. That made her sound like she may mean business so lay down on that squirter and the next thing we know the plugs are screwed up and back to square 1.

Thanks but no thanks, I'll stay with my gasoline priming.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is where the problem lies. What is a light pass? It could mean this amount to you and that amount to someone else.

And this scenario is often the case. It fires and wants to run but just doesn't quite do it so just a little more will surely make this ole girl go. That made her sound like she may mean business so lay down on that squirter and the next thing we know the plugs are screwed up and back to square 1.

Thanks but no thanks, I'll stay with my gasoline priming.

OK in your experience what damage have you come across in your repair shop that damage has occurred from someone using starting fluid? I have to say its something I have never come across in mine other then a wet spark plug and the smell of starting fluid. Just see no harm in it. Yes the lite pass gets better results them the heavy spray. Yes I have also used gas for a primer and find nothing wrong with that, so each his own I guess. Either way you can flood the spark plug.