Buying Advice Help! Need help purchasing new riding mower for leaf cleanup Snapper NXT?

SteveG

Threads
  • / Help! Need help purchasing new riding mower for leaf cleanup Snapper NXT?
Congrats on your new toy Steve. Let us know how it works out for you. My John Deere is great at picking up leaves, as long as they're dry, but the bagger is a bit small and does require frequent emptying. Leaves are always a big issue for me as well. We are at the bottom of a slight hill and in the middle of a cul-de-sac, so our yard catches every leaf that falls on our entire street, and we have a ton of oak trees around here. I'm thinking of putting a silt fence up around our yard this Fall just to see if it'll stop a significant amount of the leaves from blowing into our yard. You said you hated to get a bulky tow behind unit just for the month or so that you'd need it. Down here leaves fall all winter long and some don't drop off until Spring when the new leaves finally push them off. I envy you only having to deal with it for a month or so. I could literally pick up leaves with my rider 2 or 3 times a week during the Fall, Winter and into the early Spring. I pick up the leaves and sure enough, within an hour the wind will begin blowing hard and blow straight down our street picking up leaves as it goes and then dumps so many in our yard that you can't tell I just picked them up.

Yikes. That does make me feel lucky.

I'm so excited - it was being prepped yesterday and will be delivered later today. I've been letting the grass grow extra the last few days just so I can have fun trying it out later today with the bagger! I feel like Tim Taylor with a new tool. oohhh ohhh ohhhh ;)

Steve

Oddball

Threads
Yikes. That does make me feel lucky.

I'm so excited - it was being prepped yesterday and will be delivered later today. I've been letting the grass grow extra the last few days just so I can have fun trying it out later today with the bagger! I feel like Tim Taylor with a new tool. oohhh ohhh ohhhh ;)

Steve

:laughing: The lengths we'll go to to ensure we'll have an opportunity to try out our new tools as soon as we can. I just got a new edger and a trimmer. I edged the curb in front of our house and our neighbor's the other day as soon as I got it home just to see how well it would do. Our curb wasn't in dire need of it, but the neighbor's hadn't been done for over a year and I wanted to test the edger out. It worked great. I haven't gotten to try the trimmer yet.:frown:

Snap a couple of pics of it to post on here before you go and get it dirty.:smile:

SteveG

Threads
:laughing: The lengths we'll go to to ensure we'll have an opportunity to try out our new tools as soon as we can. I just got a new edger and a trimmer. I edged the curb in front of our house and our neighbor's the other day as soon as I got it home just to see how well it would do. Our curb wasn't in dire need of it, but the neighbor's hadn't been done for over a year and I wanted to test the edger out. It worked great. I haven't gotten to try the trimmer yet.:frown:

Snap a couple of pics of it to post on here before you go and get it dirty.:smile:

I'll see if I can remember to take some pics. The excitement may overwhelm my senses however and prevent me from remembering. ;)

SteveG

Threads
Just so folks know, I've been using the NXT for leaf cleanup and it works great with the blower. The only thing folks should know is that with the high-speed 3-blade system, if you're trying to suck up leaves on pavement, it doesn't work well because the blades have blow-out from the front edge. What I've figured out however is to push them into the lawn and then I can suck them up just fine!

I actually look forward to leaf cleanup now!

Steve