Help Me Idintfy My New Mower

WhyZed

Threads
Hello everyone,

As the tittle states, I have no idea what year, model etc this mower is that I found on the roadside. I have not seen another like it and I have looked.
When I type in the serial or model # of the chassis or the # stamped on the motor, I get nothing..

Serial # - 60-1618-2 (I have the link to the manual so I do know 'if I'm reading it correctly' its 1982-1985?)
Model # - 1059440
Motor # - D1-2 609408

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It was not running when I got it home.

-Gas tank and carb were fully gummed with goop.
-Screen in gas tank plugged.
-Float needle valve leak bad.
-Float out of spec.
-Muffler totally plugged with carbon (cheap oil I'd guess). Literally totally plugged, zero exhaust!
-Governor out of adjustment (previous owns attempt to make it run). When I cleaned out the packed muffle & started it up, it rev'd to the moon.
-Hand brushed paint :confused2:

She runs now and will be supreme when I get the new needle valve & seat.
High compression - very low blow by the rings, no sign of dirt, rust or water in the crank. Looks like a solid low hrs motor.
Overall a good find, and a good new home.
It is so light to throw around. I'm watering the lawn tonight, hopefully I'll be able to do more than start er up and take a sip of brew!

P5110008.jpg

P5110009.jpg

P5110012.jpg

P5110013.jpg

P5110014.jpg

P5110003.jpg

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I love these Canadian LBs. They have a different look.

The model number you gave seems to have too many digits. I don't know what to make of it. :confused2:

I'm 99% sure you have an F-series engine. That's good news since parts availability is very good for that engine.

Thanks for posting the photos. And let us know how it comes out.

WhyZed

Threads
Thanks for the prompt reply,

Different look?, - no kidding! I can't find a darn thing in regards to this thing...

The neighbor I got it from was French, I wonder if it was a French CTC purchase then brought to Ontario? The neighbor in question passed away, the 'new people' tossed it in the trash. Glad I saved it..

Serial # does not jive with anything I've cum across :wink: & I've cum across a few hehehehe

P5110041++Mastercraft+Lawn-Boy+Model+-+Serial+%u00252523.jpg

This is why I've come to the LB knowledge base.. cheers..

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
On the serial numbers... could there be a Canadian numbering system? The US websites geared to selling parts for US mowers seem to use a different numbering system.

You mentioned in another thread that you late mother (sorry for your loss) worked at a LB facility in Ontario. Could you contact somebody there?

You also noted the light weight of the mower. That's one of the things I like best about LBs and one of the reasons I started collecting them.

WhyZed

Threads
could there be a Canadian numbering system?
Could you contact somebody there?

There might be but I'm pretty confident it would be identified in a fact page somewhere.
No chance in contacting anyone there, the LB plant in Peterborough was closed decades ago.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK -- 60-1618-2 is a valid model number -- you had the model # and the serial # switched in the original post. :laughing:

Your mower does have an F-series engine -- good news since that is probably the best engine ever made for a push mower.

Here's a link for an engine parts diagram.

If you live near that old LB plant there may be lots of these fine machines sitting in basements and garages... owned by people who don't really care about collecting them. :cool2:

WhyZed

Threads
You are correct sir. I do have them backwards :ashamed:

I did some more research today and still came up with no new useful info. I can only find green ones with front wrap around gas tanks.
Some of the green ones I came across looked like the gas tank was turning a brown tint. Only made from 1978 -> 1982. But, in the manual it states my model was made between 1982 -> 1985 so I don't know.. :confused2:

Thanks for the help Two-Stroke :drink:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
That brown plastic thing that covers the engine is called the shroud. But you don't need one of those -- right?

Is that the float valve (and seat) that you need? That's the thing in the photo in your original post. Anyway... that will almost certainly be interchangeable among all F-series engines -- but check to be sure. You may want to get a carb rebuild kit -- which probably would include the float valve.

I would give you a link to where I'd buy it but I think you're better off dealing with a Canadian seller. If the air filter looks bad you should replace that too. Maybe you might add an inline fuel filter as well.

Let us know how it works out.

WhyZed

Threads
Yes that is the fuel needle. It looks fine in the photo and the rubber is pliable but fuel is leaking past slowly, so I was going to purchase this & the matching seat. It's not leaking enough to make the motor run rich but if the petcock was left on it would drain the tank. While I'm in there again I'm going to add a drain valve in the bowl. That way there will never be standing fuel in the carb to evaporate and cause jetting problems.

I don't think I like the 'utility deck' but I like my motor, it seems strong and tight. Would I be able to get a rusty old brick-top basket-cast and make good looking mower out of it & my motor? Would the mounting points line-up?

WhyZed

Threads
That brown plastic thing that covers the engine is called the shroud. But you don't need one of those -- right?

The brown plastic thing on mine and this model is indeed the gas tank.. :dance1:
In some of the pics I've seen I think I can see a brown tint under the green paint. Might be my computer screen, or the rum. :cool: