Help me decide ZT mower

SCMCG

Threads
Hello. I am looking to purchase a new ZT for my acerage. I have narrowed it down to a Gravely ZT52HD and a Country Clipper Edge XLT 52.
The Gravely's advantages are 3100 Hydro units and the Clipper uses the 2800 units, the customer service by the guy selling them is unmatched, and it is $165 cheaper. The Country Clipper's advantages are the easy flip-up deck, joystick/one hand operation, and a pivoting front axle. I have about 2.5 acres to mow, probably 50% is fairly flat although rough, and the other half is some off-camber and hillsides/ditches. Nothing more than 45 degree banking. Quite a few trees and things to go around but nothing that I couldn't use a 60" or even a 72" deck if I had to. The joystick isn't a dealbreaker as the Clipper is also available in the twin lever design, however I thought having a one-hand free could be beneficial. I don't want to spend over $5300.00. Thoughts?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello. I am looking to purchase a new ZT for my acerage. I have narrowed it down to a Gravely ZT52HD and a Country Clipper Edge XLT 52.
The Gravely's advantages are 3100 Hydro units and the Clipper uses the 2800 units, the customer service by the guy selling them is unmatched, and it is $165 cheaper. The Country Clipper's advantages are the easy flip-up deck, joystick/one hand operation, and a pivoting front axle. I have about 2.5 acres to mow, probably 50% is fairly flat although rough, and the other half is some off-camber and hillsides/ditches. Nothing more than 45 degree banking. Quite a few trees and things to go around but nothing that I couldn't use a 60" or even a 72" deck if I had to. The joystick isn't a dealbreaker as the Clipper is also available in the twin lever design, however I thought having a one-hand free could be beneficial. I don't want to spend over $5300.00. Thoughts?

SCMCG,
Wow...if those grades are indeed 45 degree "angles" be VER careful on a ZTR(or any mower). More that 15 degrees is regarded as "unsafe" and some engines at > 20 degrees will become oil-starved and incur damages. I have no knowledg of the Country Clipper machines but as a Gravely owner can highly recommend them.

SCMCG

Threads
OOPS! That was a typo. Sposed to be 15 degrees LOL!

Old Goat

Threads
Here we go again. Daily occurrence lately.

You owe it to yourself to look these over carefully.

Residential and Commercial Zero Turn Radius Lawn Mowers and Tractors - Big Dog Mowers

Five dealers in your area. Made by Excel Industries,(Hustler) 1st ZTR made in 1966.
Big Dog only out about 4 years now.

I own a R754 model, paid $4800. Check photos in my album. Extremely satisfied with quality and "bang for the buck".
Lot's of folks pay way more, but it ain't cost effective IMO.

I also cut 2.5 acres, takes about 1 1/4 hours. Maybe 2 gallons of gas.

Charles

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
OOPS! That was a typo. Sposed to be 15 degrees LOL!

Whew....I feel better already that you aren't risking life & limb:0)
With $5300 to spend you need to add several more brands to the mix. The Toro Titan MX series is another very good high-end residential unit to take a look at as well as the Hustler Fastrak, and Big Dog(made by Hustler). There are sooooooo many good ZTR's out there you will need to make sure you are comparing apples-to-apples across different brands and it won't be an easy decision. Be sure to consider dealer reputation and warranties(especially when a Residential model carries a Commercial warranty....always a good sign of quality/durability). Make sure the overall build quality, deck gauge/hanging system, trannies, engine make/series, spindles, etc. are equal when comparing so you don't wonder "why is that one so much more expensive". Good luck finding just the right one for you!!!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here we go again. Daily occurrence lately.

You owe it to yourself to look these over carefully.

Residential and Commercial Zero Turn Radius Lawn Mowers and Tractors - Big Dog Mowers

Five dealers in your area. Made by Excel Industries,(Hustler) 1st ZTR made in 1966.
Big Dog only out about 4 years now.

I own a R754 model, paid $4800. Check photos in my album. Extremely satisfied with quality and "bang for the buck".
Lot's of folks pay way more, but it ain't cost effective IMO.

I also cut 2.5 acres, takes about 1 1/4 hours. Maybe 2 gallons of gas.

Charles

Old Goat,
Did you get my post about Hustler having the highest dealership ratings??? Gravely(Ariens) wasn't far behind. Yeah..daily since a lot of users are looking at their grass this spring thinking "I gotta have a better way to cut this stuff". Personally, I'm glad I decided to upgrade to a ZTR in September, which I consider a "buyers market" when it comes to getting a deal. But admit it......I have never really "dogged" that Big Dog of yours have I????:0)

Old Goat

Threads
Old Goat,
Did you get my post about Hustler having the highest dealership ratings??? Gravely(Ariens) wasn't far behind. Yeah..daily since a lot of users are looking at their grass this spring thinking "I gotta have a better way to cut this stuff". Personally, I'm glad I decided to upgrade to a ZTR in September, which I consider a "buyers market" when it comes to getting a deal. But admit it......I have never really "dogged" that Big Dog of yours have I????:0)

No Sir, You have not.

SCMCG

Threads
Thanks guys! I will check out the Hustler. I called the Bigdog dealer in Des Moines and he said he doesn't even want to sell me one as he has never even seen one. He wants to sell me a Gravely LOL. The other Bigdog dealers are just too far from me. The Country Clippers are made here in Iowa about 45 minutes from where I live and lots of guys locally here running them, as well as Gravely. How big of difference if any will I notice between the 2800 and 3100 series hydrostats?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks guys! I will check out the Hustler. I called the Bigdog dealer in Des Moines and he said he doesn't even want to sell me one as he has never even seen one. He wants to sell me a Gravely LOL. The other Bigdog dealers are just too far from me. The Country Clippers are made here in Iowa about 45 minutes from where I live and lots of guys locally here running them, as well as Gravely. How big of difference if any will I notice between the 2800 and 3100 series hydrostats?

SCMCG,

I would guess as you progress from the ZT-2800 to the 3100, 3200, 3400 and 5400 you gain a little faster speed and more durability. I'm no tranny expert but that's my guess as to the bottom-line. Below the ZT-2800(the EZT) you get sealed, residential quality and cannot service the fluid:0(
P.S
It may not help but look at what their own dealers say about the different machines in the link below(not ALL ZTR manufacturers are included, only the big players...BTW, Ariens includes Gravely since they own that company).

http://www.msdeda.com/pdf/2013 Dealer Manufacturer Survey.pdf