Help me choose: Hustler Raptor SD 48, SD 54, Toro MX5060, or Ferris IS1500Z

mooch91

Threads
  • / Help me choose: Hustler Raptor SD 48, SD 54, Toro MX5060, or Ferris IS1500Z
All,

I've spent the past few weeks researching the higher-end residential mowers. This is for my 1+ acre property, even terrain with a slope in the backyard. I've narrowed my choices down to three NEW units:

Hustler Raptor SD 48" $3799 (dealer quoted)
Hustler Raptor SD 54" $3899 (dealer quoted)
Toro MX5060 $3799 (dealer quoted, includes Toro's current rebate)

The Hustler Raptor SD 54" is also available at Home Depot/Lowes where I could probably use a 10% new resident coupon and get it for about $3599.

I also came across a Ferris IS1500Z 54" (not sure of the year, thinking mid-2000s with an unknown number of hours at a local dealer (hour meter replaced due to failure). He wants $4000 for it, claims it to have been homeowner-used, 25 HP Kawasaki (721 engine?).

Here's the pros/cons I see for all of them:

Hustler Raptor SD 48
Pros - fab deck, 2800 hydros, kawi motor, 3 yr warranty
Cons - only $100 cheaper than the 54 (would have liked more difference between the two as I would probably give up the 6" of cut for a bigger discount), smaller tires than the 54, 11 ga deck

Hustler Raptor SD 54
Pros - fab deck, 2800 hydros, kawi motor, biggest cut of all three, biggest tires of all three, 3 yr warranty
Cons - 11 ga deck

Toro MX5060
Pros - fab deck, 2800 hydros, kawi motor, nicest dealer, 10 ga deck, 3 yr warranty
Cons - smaller tires than the Hustler, dealer doesn't seem to want to offer any discount beyond Toro's promotion

Hustler Raptor SD 54 at Home Depot
Pros - best price for the most mower (by a considerable amount with discount coupon! - $400)
Cons - I'm sure the Hustler dealer I visited will disown me if I tried to bring it in for service

Ferris
Pros - chance to own a true commercial mower, suspension
Cons - no idea how many hours, no warranty, hard to find good info about the quality/satisfaction users have had with this mower since I don't know the year (read about issues with the exhaust burning the grass?), feels like it should sell for less considering what it is

If there were a greater margin in price between the 48 and 54 Hustler, I'd probably go for the 48 as my first choice. I think it would be the perfect size for an acre and would give me best value for my money. If I could get the Ferris for a bit less (thinking $3500 out the door), I'd probably make that my second choice. My third is probably a toss-up between the Toro and the 54 Hustler, and again, my decision would be based upon best price.

Since I'm not seeing the prices I'd like, my choice is now leaning heavily towards the 54 Hustler and Toro as my first choice, with the 48 Hustler second, and Ferris third. Still not sure if I'd go Home Depot over the local dealer.

Among these options, what would you do???

Thanks!

flywindy

Threads
Hi,
All I can say is that I love my MX5060; but if I had bought anything else I'm sure I would love that also! Go with your gut!!!
Flywindy

Dothehustle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the Hustler SD 54 and I love it, I would double check with the dealer about pricing my dealer sold me mine for $3600. Nice to have the dealer to rely on if it needs serviced.

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
Since this is an investment I would go with who can give you the best service.I'm awaiting delivery of a 54" RSD and through Home Depot.Luckily I found someone who does warranty work and doesn't have an attitude about BBS guys.He even does work from his truck on home visits.I think I found the best of both worlds,however my next life will include a friend who uses commercial mowers who can sell to me!

mooch91

Threads
I have the Hustler SD 54 and I love it, I would double check with the dealer about pricing my dealer sold me mine for $3600. Nice to have the dealer to rely on if it needs serviced.

Thanks guys - my local dealer came down to 3900, but I believe he can do better. I don't want to purchase from Home Depot, but I stand to be able to save more than $300 more and I'm finding it hard to resist...

If the dealer could do $4K out-the-door, I think that's a fair deal (would be close to $3770 before tax).

I think I will end up with the Hustler SD 54, Toro MX5040 as second choice.

edd

Threads
hustler has a lower center of gravity

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks guys - my local dealer came down to 3900, but I believe he can do better. I don't want to purchase from Home Depot, but I stand to be able to save more than $300 more and I'm finding it hard to resist...

If the dealer could do $4K out-the-door, I think that's a fair deal (would be close to $3770 before tax).

I think I will end up with the Hustler SD 54, Toro MX5040 as second choice.

If you are torn between saving a couple hundred bucks at Home Depot versus buying from a dealer read the OP's story in the thread I am pasting a link to below. It will re-emphasize why most of us recommend buying from a dealer!!!

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/husqvarna-dixon-forum/24859-mz-t-arrived-today.html#post157669

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
If you are torn between saving a couple hundred bucks at Home Depot versus buying from a dealer read the OP's story in the thread I am pasting a link to below. It will re-emphasize why most of us recommend buying from a dealer!!!

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/husqvarna-dixon-forum/24859-mz-t-arrived-today.html#post157669

Since I found a dealer who will service my Hustler I feel much relieved!As I've gotten older I must ask myself this question,"Whats worth more to me,my time or my money?"I choose TIME! If you have to truck your mower all over the place when things go South,where is the savings? I'm not mechanically gifted so I'm essentially dependent on competent service technicians or my neighbor who will do about anything to get me mowing my tall grass.:biggrin:Good Luck and choose wisely.

mooch91

Threads
Got the Raptor SD 54 today. Learning how to drive a ZTR is a whole new thing, especially on hills. But so far I LOVE THIS MACHINE! Never saw a cut quite like it on my home lawn!

L454S

Threads
Agree with Mooch, just got the Raptor SD 54. I looked at the Toro MX5060 a couple times, but always went back to the Raptor SD. The only reason I could see to get the RSD48 over the 54 would be if there were an issue getting the mower in and out of a gate or other width obstruction. Haven't really cut with mine yet, just learning the ZTR.

The larger wheels and tires do make for a beefier look and feel.