Help me choose a 300 dollar Mower

SirJohn

Threads
The power rating on the Husqvarna is completely wrong. That is the same Honda GCV160 you find on all the residential models.. It has 6.9lb-ft of torque. The 4.4 is the net hp rating for that engine.
I have the same Husky as that but with the Kohler engine. It is otherwise identical. Check out my findings here:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/mower-buying-pricing/4475-buying-new-budget-push-mower.html

Many of my observations will apply to the model you are looking at. I list some other options and ideas in this thread here:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/mower-buying-pricing/4664-looking-quality-walk-behind.html

If you need self-propelled, rwd is probably preferable and I would look at the lawnboy 10605 in that price range. This model has a blade brake function which most people find very handy.

This particular Craftsman is made by Husqvarna and is recommended by Consumer Reports. It has the B&S flathead engine and is RWD. Sears sales fluctuate frequently. Current price is pretty standard but it has been as low as $245. Sears is putting some mowers on closeout beginning Monday supposedly so it may or may not go down in price then.

First question is whether self-propelled or push mower is a better choice for you. In my case, a small yard with lots of obstacles made a push mower the best option. Having to maneuver around so much, pulling the mower backwards frequently would make the self-propelled a lot harder work for me for the size of lawn. If you are at 1/4 acre or higher, a self-propelled starts making more sense. Once you decide on self-propelled or push, then you can start narrowing your choices.

macarciero

Forum Newbie
Threads
Without knowing the specifics of your needs or habits regarding the size and condition of your lawn or how often you cut the grass, its hard to say. The Husqvarna seems low powered, the Toro would be my choice if it weren't front wheel drive, the Craftsman doesn't have enough info about the motor other than its a Honda, so can't say for sure on that one, and the Lawnboy is used and not enough info given in the advertisement, although if its got a more powerful engine (6.0 ft/lbs and up) and looks reasonably well cared for on inspection, it may be a contender, I'd try and talk the seller down more though, to at least somewhere closer to half original price unless its in excellent condition, after all you never know for sure what you're getting in a used mower. Has the oil and air filter been changed regularly? Has it been stored with gas in it for long periods that may effect the condition of the carburetor? Has it hit rocks or other things that may have damaged the shaft? I may be pessimistic, but when it comes to buying used, I assume the seller is going to lie about problems they've had with the product and/or how they've cared for it. I've seen and heard of it happening too many times not to assume the seller is lying to get rid of a problem product.

I went back and looked at the Lawn Boy again and saw the other pics. Its got the power I'd want and it is self propelled, I think, and if so its rear wheel drive, so it would definitely be a contender based on condition and price.

Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it