Help. John Deere D140 wont start.

JD_140

Forum Newbie
Threads
You didn't say if you disengaged the blade. I had a repair call once and that is what it was. He lifted the blade, but not all the way. When he asked what he owed me, I said $50, but it would be free if he didn't mind being embarrassed. He said, Oh damn, what did I do???
Thanks. I did disengage the blade.

Back in the 70s when I was 16 and just got my drivers license my mom let me take her car to the grocery store on my own, my first solo trip in the car. (1967 Dodge Dart) When I returned to my car it would not start! Dead, wouldn't even turn over. Someone saw that I was haveing trouble and came over to see what was going on. Well, he reached in and pulled the gear shift lever (automatic on the column) to park and she started right up! Boy was I embarresed ! Mom asked about my trip and I replied; Fine, it went fine.....

rhkraft

Threads
I have a John Deere D140 that wont start. Last fall I turned it off to answer a phone call and it would not start back up. I had the blades engaged without turning them off when I turned the ignition key off. Would not attempt to start after that. I am now trying to get it going. I can turn the key to on and jumper 12volts to the starter and start it, it then runs fine. It just wont start on its own. There is a 30amp relay that (i think its called the start relay) works. I removed it and could apply 12 volts to the coils and check the Normaly Open, and the Normaly Closed section. They go opposite with voltage applied and I can hear the relay work. The power from the battery comes down to a big relay and then that goes to the starter. I measured the coil connections on it and I dont ever see 12 volts there. The wires going to that relay's coil looks like it goes into a bundle that is going to the rear of the lawnmower and I cannot tell where.
I dont have any kind of wiring diagram and that is hindering me. Its almost like an interlock switch is causing this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions??

rhkraft

Threads
Thanks. I did disengage the blade.

Back in the 70s when I was 16 and just got my drivers license my mom let me take her car to the grocery store on my own, my first solo trip in the car. (1967 Dodge Dart) When I returned to my car it would not start! Dead, wouldn't even turn over. Someone saw that I was haveing trouble and came over to see what was going on. Well, he reached in and pulled the gear shift lever (automatic on the column) to park and she started right up! Boy was I embarresed ! Mom asked about my trip and I replied; Fine, it went fine.....

ashingde

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a GXL130 that I got from a friend and the paint was really bad so I took it apart to paint and the reverse switch the wires were just cut and it would start right up which I don't understand, where would a guy get the John Deere Manuel I assume John Deere.
There are plenty of sites on-line that are willing to sell you the manual, and probably cheaper than JD, although that would be an option. The D140 manual, and many others, can be had here:

I just ordered one for my X739 for $20, to compare it with the JD version, which was >$150.

bigunn

Threads
Considering how well written the service manual is it is worth especially since it cover 11 models.

So what year is the mower? There two different wiring diagrams base on when it was made. Make that three versions.
Would you have a link as to where you can buy these Manuels have check John Deere I have a L130