Help Identify an old Reel Gas Mower

Cherokee Mike

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I was a little boy in the mid-to-late 1950's my dad owned a gasoline-powered reel mower. I've been searching the internet trying to find a photo of the same type mower. Maybe someone here can identify what company manufactured it.

I believe the engine was a Briggs & Stratton. Probably around three or four horsepower. You manually attached the starter rope and wrapped it around the starter shaft. The engine and mower frame was all black in color. One feature I remember is that it had a small metal toolbox mounted on the engine platform. The toolbox had a hinged cover, but I don't remember any latch or hasp.

I think there were two push-pull cable knobs mounted in the center of the handlebars. One was for engine speed and the other was for engaging the drive wheels. My dad used to buy a lot of his tools and things from Western Auto, so it might have been purchased there.

I was too young to operate it, but I always enjoyed watching my dad start it up and mow our yard. To my young little eyes it looked like the most powerful mower in the world.

benski

Threads
When I was a little boy in the mid-to-late 1950's my dad owned a gasoline-powered reel mower. I've been searching the internet trying to find a photo of the same type mower. Maybe someone here can identify what company manufactured it.

I believe the engine was a Briggs & Stratton. Probably around three or four horsepower. You manually attached the starter rope and wrapped it around the starter shaft. The engine and mower frame was all black in color. One feature I remember is that it had a small metal toolbox mounted on the engine platform. The toolbox had a hinged cover, but I don't remember any latch or hasp.

I think there were two push-pull cable knobs mounted in the center of the handlebars. One was for engine speed and the other was for engaging the drive wheels. My dad used to buy a lot of his tools and things from Western Auto, so it might have been purchased there.
Lots of eye

I was too young to operate it, but I always enjoyed watching my dad start it up and mow our yard. To my young little eyes it looked like the most powerful mower in the world.
Lots of experienced eyeballs out there; I'll bet someone comes up with the brand of that mower for you.:smile:

LandN

Threads

I also am interested in a gas reel from that time era as that also was what i started on..anyway go to google and type in -images of antique reel mower- then click on the blue heading and see all the old reel pictures, each picture can be clicked on, to take you further.(you may have to type slowly as it sometimes dont come in right away)good luck on your search. the old reel i had was a 3 1/2 hp briggs self propelled with roller lever and a grass catcher.