Help getting deck belt on Fastrak 42

MannyJ

Threads
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to the world of ztr mowers. I recently acquired an older Hustler Fastrak 42 inch mower with a Honda motor. I got it for a pretty good price. I want to replace the deck belt as it is old and has huge chunks are missing from it. Following the instructions on in the manual in can figure out how to put the belt on the front pulleys but I cannot for the life of me see how I am supposed to get the belt onto the engine pulley in the rear of the unit. There is another black plastic guide pulley right next to the engine pulley but the distance between the two is far to narrow to simply slide the new belt between them.

Any tips on how to get the belt on that rear pulley would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Manny

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know the exact model so I cant see to know exactly but with all just see what is in the way and remove it then replace after.

wbw

Threads
I've got an '07 Fastrak 42. Make sure you are routing it correctly. I don't have to remove parts from mine except the two covers that are over the two front pulleys. The belts are hard to put on, in my opinion. I have to push on the tensioner at the front while my wife tries to get the belt over the last pulley.

But check the diagram (on the deck, unless it's been worn away) and make sure you are routing it correctly.

MannyJ

Threads
Hi,

Thank you for the replies. I believe this one is an 2007 model as well. I have checked the routing and it is correct. I just cannot get the belt between these two pulleys.

Here is a picture of the set-up. The engine pulley and the deck pulley is really narrow.

Capture.PNG

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am almost sure the idler pulley moves. It looks spring loaded.

MannyJ

Threads
Hi Chuck. It looked like that chain was for the tensioner on the hydros. That was the confusing part.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Either way it is only one bolt to remove the idler pulley.

MannyJ

Threads
Thanks for the replies. I knew I could remove the pulley but it was on there pretty tightly and there was no mention of needing to remove it in the instructions so I thought there must have been some sort of trick to it. I was hoping someone here would have had firsthand experiences with this machine that be able to offer some guidance.