Help Diagnosing Issue

Fescuefreak

Threads
When the mower starts to die, spray starter fluid in the carb, if the engine starts to run better it’s a fuel issue, if not, I’d go with coil.

12icer

Threads
Check for craked fuel hoses, coil breaking down under load after it heats up or main jet wells having buildup in them and leaning it out and making it get hot. It can also be any wiring in the ignition system being corroded and breaking down

TobyU

Threads
The engine

The engine, after warming up, may for some reason be running to lean. If there's a carburetor choke, try closing it slightly to see if there's a noticeable improvement. If there's improvent try a higher octane gas. (As long as it won't damage engine).
Just a thought
Exactly! This should be standard troubleshooting procedure when one isn't running correctly. You're either use a folded shop cloth to block off the intake hole at the carb a little bit or close the choke slightly if that's easier to see if it changes the way it runs.
Typically you'll find more engines run lean than rich and if one is running lean it will usually be stumbling a little bit or slowing down due to leaning out.
As soon as you get the joke about halfway to 3/4 way shut you should see it smooth out and speed up if so you know the carb is partially restricted.
Yes before you even get to halfway it starts to burble and chug even more than you know it is running rich and that could be from lack of ignition on a cylinder but regardless this is how you should troubleshoot every running issue.

TobyU

Threads
Replace the carburetor. Sometimes the check valve can be partially blocked and cleaning wont solve it
I'm a little confused by this term check valve if you use.
I'm not aware of any such part being in any of these carburetors.
They have a needle and seat or what's called an inlet needle or inlet valve etc but those very rarely get clogged up and don't flow.
The vast majority of times when an engine does it run properly and it's from a carburetor issue, it is because the jet, typically the main jet in the carburetor is clogged for slightly restricted.
This is not a check valve situation as it is a fixed orifice jet.

Hugeroost

Threads
Roost has a Dixie Chopper w a 27 hp Kohler twin, I have to replace a coil every 2 yrs or so. Yours has one, I'd buy one and put it on

mcHarley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you hit a stone or something else while mowing. After you hit something the mower can be out of balance.

elmrfudd

Threads
Is this the engine with the accelerator pump attached to the carburetor? Symptoms sound similar to my friend’s mower, with carb spewing gas and excessive vibration. Fuel was pooling up at the front of the carburetor causing it to run too rich and shaking the whole engine. I plugged the small tube going from the accelerator pump into the carb, and it totally fixed the problem. Not sure if this carb has those features or not, as I posted about the ”running rich” issue a couple of months ago, and got great advice on the accelerator pump. May or may not be related to this problem.

MrLarkins

Threads
What isle at your local walmart are new human eyes and ears sold on? And those nearly bare feet while operating an 1800lb mower? No seat belt and no foot grip?

Looks like Larkins checked out several pages ago.
Still here, still reading and taking suggestions. Not much else I can do though.