Help deciding: Ferris/Kubota/Simplicity

variousekis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I'm in the market to buy a new mower. I have roughly 2 acres of fairly flat (bumpy) ground, and the ol' craftsman just isn't cutting it (pardon the pun). I'm looking for something to mow this all in about 1 to 1.5, hours (not 3.5+), and to last for the next 20 years. I don't want to be going through this headache again in 5-6 years :confused2:

I've looked at various Husky's, Toro, JD, Simplicity, Ferris and Kubota; I've narrowed it down to ...

Ferris 1500 (21hp/48" or 26hp/52"), ISョ 1500Z Series, Ferrisョ Industries, Zero-Turn, Riding Mowers, Ferris Mowers, Mowers, Mower, Commercial Mowers, Lawn Mowers, Lawnmowers, Suspension, Independent Suspension, Munsville New York, Syracuse, New York, Central New York, Mohawk Valley,','f

Kubota zg222/227 (22hp/48" or 27hp/54"), Products: ZG200 Series Kubota Canada Ltd.

or the Simplicity z4000. (26hp/48"), Zero Turn Mowers from Simplicity

The JD is definately out of the question since the local dealership has worse ethics than half the used car lots in town....

The Husky's are cheaper, but quite possibly for a reason, and the counter guy at Husky ticked me off with really bad customer service...

Kubota is pricey! but they always make great equipment.

Ferris (from what I've read) is fantastic...but also quite pricey though competitive with the Kubota.

Simplicity sounds like the machine!....but it's cheaper..much cheaper, almost $2000 less, and unfortunately, while the dealer is a great mechanic (his main product is repairing), he doesn't have a zero turn in stock, so I can't sit on it and try it out.

Has anyone owned/operated/tested/eyeballed any of these? Which do you prefer and why? If it was your money....basically....what would you bring home?

benski

Threads
If I was going to kick a pile o' cash off the edge, I'd probably get a Simplicity or Kubota. That's just me, but that's my vote. Is there another Simplicity dealer within striking distance that has a ZTR in stock that you can go see?:licking: If you live in Vamcouver, there are 4 dealers in your area within 30km.

Black Bart

Threads
I'm not familiar with that model of Kubota but if it has the water cooled engine it will last much longer than the Briggs in the Simplicity.

polly

Threads
I would would not let my pride get in the way with the husky rep. There all the same today. Just not thankful. That,s the way the world is today. I would take a look at the HUSQ---mz6128. My thoughts are you get good bang for your money there. Also the Husq---RZ5424 with the kawasaki engine. As for John Deere well had enough of them. Had to big them to sell me a mower.--Degrading experience. So won,t do that again.---polly

robert

Threads
polly, I agree with your Deere dealer comments 100%-they are the rudest most arrogant people around, take or leave it is the rule, I left it.
Was almost tempted to buy one and use it for 29 days then bring it back just for chuckles :laughing:

shadrach

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Ferris will have the best ride - the suspension on them really makes a difference.

robert

Threads
I agree about Ferris being smooth, the ride on the one I tested was amazing; what I don't understand is how many postings you can find about how the Ferris suspension is a 'gimick'. The IS500 was a real eye opener for me, between the ride, the total difference in a pump and motor system as compared to an integrated drive-I found the pump/motor to be much quieter and smoother-AND the fit and finishl; I was sold on the brand immediately-for a moment I even considered another ELS-for a moment.
Anyone who buys a zt without a Ferris demo is making a huge mistake.

variousekis

Forum Newbie
Threads
If I was going to kick a pile o' cash off the edge, I'd probably get a Simplicity or Kubota. That's just me, but that's my vote. Is there another Simplicity dealer within striking distance that has a ZTR in stock that you can go see?:licking: If you live in Vamcouver, there are 4 dealers in your area within 30km.

The dealer's in town are Husky/JD/Simplicity....possibly Toro. The Kubota and Ferris dealer's are about a 1h drive, another one I didn't mention earlier is Hustler, but that's 7h on a clear freeway...so out of the question. Here in central BC, choices are somewhat limited lol. A dealer from Vancouver miiiiiiiiight be bringing a Simplicity at the end of August to test out, not sure which model though.

The Kubota's are air cooled, no radiator I'm afraid....would be nice, but would certainly add to the already "healthy" price tag.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
I work at a shop - best made for the money right now is our simplicity zero turn - large thick steel frame and body - no crushed beer can and plastic body . Next is the Ferris line which is now selling more than the Dixie Choppers. Again very HD frame and body .

I don't care for the cub cadet zero turn- to many returns for repairs due to metal fatigue - cheap cable ends that break off melted bodies due to owner neglect to clean dead grass that catches fire due to pulley or belt heat .

variousekis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, the Simplicity dealer came through on his word, and one came up from Vancouver. He gave me a quick run down on it...I took it for a spin up and down the alley (looking for the biggest bumps and potholes) to test out the suspension, and handed over my visa. Now....just have to wait for the grass to grow back, I mowed 2 days ago lol.

PS: WTS 1 craftsman ride on and sweeper :laughing: